The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Dynaco ST70 speaker pops on power down

pdxwaker

Dynaco ST70 speaker pops on power down Empty Dynaco ST70 speaker pops on power down

Post by pdxwaker Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:54 pm

My Stereo 70 causes some pops on my speakers after turning the amp off.

This is not related to the switch... it occurs well after turning the switch off (and also occurs if I use a power strip / relay).

Preamp is still powered when this happens.  I've tried it with and without source active... with source, the sound fades a bit before pops occur.  It is like the caps are bleeding off then something happens during the bleed.

Any ideas?

Last edited by pdxwaker on Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
    peterh
    peterh

Dynaco ST70 speaker pops on power down Empty Re: Dynaco ST70 speaker pops on power down

Post by peterh Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:34 am

pdxwaker wrote:My Stereo 70 causes some pops on my speakers after turning the amp off.

This is not related to the switch... it occurs well after turning the switch off (and also occurs if I use a power strip / relay).

Preamp is still powered when this happens.  I've tried it with and without source active... with source, the sound fades a bit before pops occur.  It is like the caps are bleeding off then something happens during the bleed.

Any ideas?
    Schematics ? I assume this is something else then a Dynaco ST70
    pdxwaker

Dynaco ST70 speaker pops on power down Empty Re: Dynaco ST70 speaker pops on power down

Post by pdxwaker Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:45 am

peterh wrote:
    pdxwaker wrote:My Stereo 70 causes some pops on my speakers after turning the amp off.

Any ideas?
    Schematics  ?  I assume this is something else then a Dynaco ST70

It is a Dynaco Stereo 70 (1960s, cloth insulation on output transformers).  New to me project that was recapped (by me) and new output tubes.

A/B/C/D caps are mounted in the chassis.  47uF 600V, 100uF 550V, 100uF 500V, 100uF 500V.  Each of these are bypassed by 1uF 600V film cap. Too large?  I tried to keep the first cap smaller but was very limited in available 600V caps.

Everything is working fine, stable bias, good sound.  But, I'm getting this 'pop' through speakers on power down.  I'm to the point where I may add a speaker switch box and switch in 8 Ohm power resistors at power down.  But, that won't help if there is amp/tube stress too.
    pdxwaker

Post by pdxwaker Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:50 am

pdxwaker wrote:
    peterh wrote:

Any ideas?

It is a Dynaco Stereo 70 (1960s, cloth insulation on output transformers).  New to me project that was recapped (by me) and new output tubes.

A/B/C/D caps are mounted in the chassis.  47uF 600V, 100uF 550V, 100uF 500V, 100uF 500V.  Each of these are bypassed by 1uF 600V film cap.  I tried to keep the first cap smaller (to limit in rush stress on rectifier tube) but was very limited in available 600V caps.

Everything is working fine, stable bias, good sound.  But, I'm getting this 'pop' through speakers on power down.  I'm to the point where I may add a speaker switch box and switch in 8 Ohm power resistors at power down.  But, that won't help if there is amp/tube stress too.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:59 pm

pdxwaker wrote:
    peterh wrote:

Any ideas?

A/B/C/D caps are mounted in the chassis.  47uF 600V, 100uF 550V, 100uF 500V, 100uF 500V.  Each of these are bypassed by 1uF 600V film cap.  Too large?  I tried to keep the first cap smaller but was very limited in available 600V caps.

It's not impossible that the excess amount of caps could give this problem. An original cap
    might be emptied faster. Too large caps (and no screen stoppers ) could cause
    oscillations which might be heard as "pops".
    pdxwaker

Post by pdxwaker Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:13 pm

peterh wrote:

It's not impossible that the excess amount of caps could give this problem. An original cap
    might be emptied faster.  Too large caps (and no screen stoppers ) could cause

Thanks.  I'm a total newbie to tubes...

Would you recommend I investigate adding screen stoppers?  I'll do some research but feedback is welcome!
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:08 pm

pdxwaker wrote:
    peterh wrote:

might be emptied faster.  Too large caps (and no screen stoppers ) could cause

Thanks.  I'm a total newbie to tubes...

Would you recommend I investigate adding screen stoppers?  I'll do some research but feedback is welcome!
    As a start i would recommend filter caps 30+20+20+20 or similar. Screen stoppers 100ohm2w prefereable CC will make the amp more resistant to oscillating
    See http://tronola.com/html/maximize_tube_life.html for a discussion of how too large caps might cause instability.
    j.click

Post by j.click Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:52 pm

Same thing happened to me. Someone far wiser than me explained that when you switch off the ST70 the magnetic field in the power transformer collapses and sends a surge/pop through the speakers - clearly audible on my Quad ESLs. Also some of these power switches are over 50 years old and a simple Dynakit replacement switch is safer. A simple AC suppression cap across the AC switch solved the pop issue.
    pdxwaker

Post by pdxwaker Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:07 am

j.click wrote:Same thing happened to me. Someone far wiser than me explained that when you switch off the ST70 the magnetic field in the power transformer collapses and sends a surge/pop through the speakers - clearly audible on my Quad ESLs. Also some of these power switches are over 50 years old and a simple Dynakit replacement switch is safer. A simple AC suppression cap across the AC switch solved the pop issue.

Thanks. Unfortunately. not as easy as the switch in this case. The pops are well after toggling the switch, during capacitive discharge.

I'm going to look into screen resistors first. If no luck there, I'll have to try reworking the bulk capacitance.

Will report back later next week when I've had a chance to work on the amplifier.
    pdxwaker

Post by pdxwaker Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:53 pm

peterh wrote:
    As a start i would recommend filter caps 30+20+20+20  or similar.  Screen stoppers 100ohm2w prefereable CC  will make the amp more resistant to oscillating
    See http://tronola.com/html/maximize_tube_life.html  for a discussion of how too large caps might cause instability.

Thanks.  It took me a while to get to this project but adding 100 Ohm screen grid resistors resolved the issue.  Now I get a gradual fade out of the source when powering down... no abnormal stuff any more.

I used 3W carbon film.

Learning as I go here... after reading the referenced paper, it makes sense.  Next time I rework one of these amps, I'll think long and hard about modifying capacitance (but may add screen grid resistors regardless; carbon comp if I can source them).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 11:07 pm