The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

What good is a thermistor on a solid state rectifier?

Njrob
    Njrob

What good is a thermistor on a solid state rectifier? Empty What good is a thermistor on a solid state rectifier?

Post by Njrob Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:09 pm

The sl15 60002 thermistor weber uses in the ws1T is rated for 115-230 ac
    Nowhere in the ss rectifier are thoes voltages. It would be an instant rush. No?
    (St120 with time delay relay authenticap 550v quad) the only thing I think the thermistor would do is gradually charge the quad but with 500dc, there's no gradually. Right?
    Would a gradual cap charge be beneficial?
    I'm running a variac at 113bto keep b+ at pcb at 420v
    StevieRay

What good is a thermistor on a solid state rectifier? Empty WS-1 with thermistor

Post by StevieRay Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:03 pm

I have a ST-120 with TDR and use the Weber WS-1 w/thermistor.

After the TDR comes on, the thermistor results in a ~1 minute ramp to full voltage — in fact I question the need for the TDR if you always use a rectifier with a thermistor or of course a tube rectifier.

One time when I tried to pull the WS-1 out, the copper cap came off, so I took the opportunity to look at the parts….mine has a thermistor labeled 100D-11.
    When I looked up the specs, there’s nothing I see about voltage; of course the only thing that matters is resistance, amperage rating, etc.

Anyway, don’t fuss over the WS-1 spec, just know that it work as intended even after 3+ years.  Easily repaired if needed, parts are inexpensive.  Not hard to totally make your own.

Njrob likes this post

Njrob
    Njrob

What good is a thermistor on a solid state rectifier? Empty Re: What good is a thermistor on a solid state rectifier?

Post by Njrob Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:12 pm

Thanks. Yes I've made my own as well. Weber says sl15 60002 is used. There is no delay. As soon as HV hits pin 4 and 6, pin 8 instantly hits 525 and settles at 500. I was expecting atleast a little ramp up. Weber says a few seconds but my meters say different.
    Njrob
    Njrob

What good is a thermistor on a solid state rectifier? Empty Re: What good is a thermistor on a solid state rectifier?

Post by Njrob Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:25 pm

I'm going to post a vid in a few hours of the pin 8 action.
    StevieRay

Post by StevieRay Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:55 pm

As I said, mine does have a delay, ~1 minute.  Measured with Fluke DMM.

Are you measuring when connected to the cap(s) and to the tubes?  If not loaded, the result will look instant.

I don’t know if Weber changed the thermistor or not since I bought mine, but if it doesn’t have a delay then it’s not worth buying — it isn’t performing.  Might as well buy something a lot cheaper with just diodes.

Njrob likes this post

Njrob
    Njrob

Post by Njrob Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:03 pm

I belive you. Probably changed design. Amp is all loaded.
    Njrob
    Njrob

Post by Njrob Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:03 pm

https://youtu.be/-rvKWX8wbi4
    Video of voltage test with ss weber ws1t
    Njrob
    Njrob

Post by Njrob Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:03 pm

StevieRay wrote:I have a ST-120 with TDR and use the Weber WS-1 w/thermistor.

After the TDR comes on, the thermistor results in a ~1 minute ramp to full voltage — in fact I question the need for the TDR if you always use a rectifier with a thermistor or of course a tube rectifier.

One time when I tried to pull the WS-1 out, the copper cap came off, so I took the opportunity to look at the parts….mine has a thermistor labeled 100D-11.
    When I looked up the specs, there’s nothing I see about voltage; of course the only thing that matters is resistance, amperage rating, etc.

Anyway, don’t fuss over the WS-1 spec, just know that it work as intended even after 3+ years.  Easily repaired if needed, parts are inexpensive.  Not hard to totally make your own.

So theres one thermistor in your ws1t? I assume its after the diodes and before pin 8? I just can't see a thermistor that's rated for 120-240ac, work well with 500vdc. Maybe if there are one per ac leg on 4 and 6 then hitting the diodes then landing on 8.
    Njrob
    Njrob

What good is a thermistor on a solid state rectifier? Empty As per ametherm

Post by Njrob Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:13 pm

"You don't have enough current for a thermistor to be able to achieve what you want. Basically, the thermistors are acting as high-wattage resistors. If you did have the amps for the thermistor to work as intended. I believe the ramp will still be faster than what you want, probably faster than 500 ms"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:58 am