The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

M-125 : Socket screws

SixOhms
    SixOhms

M-125 : Socket screws Empty M-125 : Socket screws

Post by SixOhms Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:54 pm

It appears the base of the KT88’s are touching the heads of the socket mounting screws. This makes me unhappy. Anyone have a quick solution, maybe a felt ring or something? Currently don’t have the time to disassemble the lot and fit countersunk screws.

Pete
    SixOhms
    SixOhms

M-125 : Socket screws Empty Re: M-125 : Socket screws

Post by SixOhms Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:11 pm

Does anyone use 'socket savers ?'. They may be a temporary solution. Any experience ? Bad idea ?
    BeerRover

Post by BeerRover Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:52 pm

I just push my tubes into the sockets as far as the screw heads allow. I know it seems less than aesthetically pleasing, but it has never caused a functional problem.
    People have discussed tube savers before, mostly in the context of tube rolling.
    jwb474

Post by jwb474 Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:19 pm

You may want to look that these. I have used them on other projects. While these are Metric Torx, I am sure you could find SAE in the head drive you want.

https://www.fastenright.com/general-fixings/TX-drive-micro-profile-head-screws/mph03

SixOhms likes this post

SixOhms
    SixOhms

Post by SixOhms Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:13 am

jwb474 wrote:You may want to look that these. I have used them on other projects. While these are Metric Torx, I am sure you could find SAE in the head drive you want.

Good thing you mentioned the SAE thing. I'm in Europe, I just default to metric.

Are these UNF ?

Edit : aren't these metal ring sockets, so bolt and nut ? I which case it wouldn't really matter with other nuts.
    jwb474

Post by jwb474 Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:21 pm

No, The Metric screws I referenced are ISO 724 - Metric Threads like M3, M4 etc.
    UNF, Unified National Fine Threads, is a more specialized machine screw spec to ANSI B1.1 like 4-48, 6-40 etc.
    UNC, Unified Coarse Threads, is the standard machine screw mostly used spec to ANSI B1.1 like 4-40-, 6-32 etc
    SAE, Society of Automotive Engineers, has the same pitch as UNC.

The only other way that I can think of to fix your issue, especially without any disassembly is to a little southern engineering and get the keyway replacement and cut off the center keyway and use them as spacers.
    Note: you may need to trim the edges for screw head clearance.

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/octal-tube-keyway-replacement

Last edited by jwb474 on Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add note)

quad44 likes this post

SixOhms
    SixOhms

Post by SixOhms Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:25 am

Thanks,

I've looked at the pictures on the VTA website, and from what I can see it's a bolt and nut affair, and fairly easily accessible when taking the bottom panel off the amp.

I'll just open the amp up, remove the screws and use a countersink. I'll use metric to reinstall. I'll even try not to get shavings in the amp !
    jwb474

Post by jwb474 Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:59 pm

SixOhms wrote:Thanks,

I've looked at the pictures on the VTA website, and from what I can see it's a bolt and nut affair, and fairly easily accessible when taking the bottom panel off the amp.

I'll just open the amp up, remove the screws and use a countersink. I'll use metric to reinstall. I'll even try not to get shavings in the amp !

When you countersink, I would would use a 100 Degree Undercut profile screw so you lessen the possibility of having to add clearance washers because of an extended bevel .

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/100-degree-flat-head-screws/metric-316-stainless-steel-hex-drive-flat-head-screws/
    SixOhms
    SixOhms

Post by SixOhms Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:35 am

jwb474 wrote:
    SixOhms wrote:Thanks,

When you countersink, I would would use a 100 Degree Undercut profile screw so you lessen the possibility of having to add clearance washers because of an extended bevel .

Capital ! However, I'm now considering a chassis upgrade. And a tube roll...and...and...and...

Rec likes this post

Seamus
    Seamus

Post by Seamus Mon May 22, 2023 12:35 pm

A felt 'dot' cut in half and positioned fore and aft works a charm.

If you are going to the trouble of rebuilding, use ceramic sockets. The Celanex can have short life if soldering is not perfect.

As far as rolling, see Tube Rolling Mythology.
    SixOhms
    SixOhms

Post by SixOhms Tue May 23, 2023 1:55 am

Seamus wrote:
    A felt 'dot' cut in half and positioned fore and aft works a charm.

If you are going to the trouble of rebuilding, use ceramic sockets. The Celanex can have short life if soldering is not perfect.

As far as rolling, see Tube Rolling Mythology.

I've been looking for 'higher' ceramic sockets as an alternative to having to modify the top plate for countersunk screws. Haven't found anything yet, though. If I do that'll kind of catch two birds...
    New2Tubez

Post by New2Tubez Tue May 23, 2023 10:43 am

worst case, could you mount them on top of the chassis?

My ST120 has the VTA supplied ones and I've had zero problems as-is...
    Seamus
    Seamus

Post by Seamus Tue May 23, 2023 11:06 am

IMO, top mount are hideous. Evil or Very Mad

These work well when mounted below:

M-125 : Socket screws Image10

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334699259507

Reputable US vendor.

Slightly smaller than the holes, but perfectly serviceable.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:52 am