The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Speaker AB Switch

rwbaker
    rwbaker

Speaker AB Switch Empty Speaker AB Switch

Post by rwbaker Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:31 pm

I want to test some speakers with my M125's and therefore need a speaker AB switch. I already know the AB switch is going to impact the sound, but it will give me a relative comparison between my Forte' IIs and Definitive Technology BP9060 speakers. I promise not to leave the switch permanently installed.

So, my concern is finding a switch that will provide a load to the amps while switching. Does anyone make such a switch? Some have suggested add a resistor between the 8 ohm post and the ground, can this be left permanently? Is there a downside to leaving the resister installed?

Thanks for any help you can provide,
    Rick
    peterh
    peterh

Speaker AB Switch Empty Re: Speaker AB Switch

Post by peterh Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:07 am

rwbaker wrote:I want to test some speakers with my M125's and therefore need a speaker AB switch.  I already know the AB switch is going to impact the sound, but it will give me a relative comparison between my Forte' IIs and Definitive Technology BP9060 speakers.  I promise not to leave the switch permanently installed.

So, my concern is finding a switch that will provide a load to the amps while switching.  Does anyone make such a switch?  Some have suggested add a resistor between the 8 ohm post and the ground, can this be left permanently?  Is there a downside to leaving the resister installed?

Thanks for any help you can provide,
    Rick

If you want to switch speakers during load you should have a make-before-brake type. This will connect both speakers a short while before disconnecting one.
    Using a switch that breaks-before-make will have the amp unladed for a short while and that might cause flash-over and possibly damage the amp.

If you insist on using a break-before-make you could solder a 100 ohm resistor between the 16 ohm tap and ground ( and leave it there.)

Roy Mottram, pedrocols and rwbaker like this post

Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:44 pm

something like this should work fine
    https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108231-Speaker-Selector-Control/dp/B007N43T5Y
    to be sure you always have a load on the amp, I would either add a resistor from the 8 or 16 ohm taps to ground (100-220 ohms 2w)
    and make sure at least one pair of speakers is always connected
    Dale Stevens

Post by Dale Stevens Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:02 pm

Peter, what wattage for the 100 ohm R ? Dale
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:52 am

Dale Stevens wrote:Peter, what wattage for the 100 ohm R ?   Dale

5w is ok.

Sponsored content