The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Dynaco Mark III build

JunkyJan
    JunkyJan

Dynaco Mark III build Empty Dynaco Mark III build

Post by JunkyJan Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi Gentlemen

At the risk of boring the heck out of you all, here is a series of photos I took during my Mark III assembly:

Power & O/P trannies mounted - I wanted a "classic Mark III" look so I sprayed the transormer bells the closest to the old Dynaco gray I could find (heat resistant paint, baked it according to instructions @ 300 deg. F for 3 hours!). The color balance (tungsten lighting) is pretty bad in this pic, the final pictures give a better idea of what it really looks like...
    Dynaco Mark III build IMG_8394

VTA Mark III board constructed, wanted to put all caps under the board but turns out the tall caps could nout fit in the avaialble space - had to move it to the top:
    Dynaco Mark III build IMG_8402

Underside of VTA boards, I went with Auricaps - NOTE: I decided to put Auricaps in the input path as well - not included in the kit - Auricaps on the two boards totalled around $100! (cheap compared to some exotic cap brands that will cost you $250 for ONE cap).
    Dynaco Mark III build IMG_8403

Initial wiring, I used gold-plated 3-way sockets for the speakers + gold-plated input jack:
    Dynaco Mark III build IMG_8415

Wiring mostly completed, has been "neatened up" considerably since this pic was taken. The location for the triode mode switch is REALLY BAD - but I didn't want to drill holes into the chassis:
    Dynaco Mark III build IMG_8426

Up and running! The color in this photograph is better balanced, that is the actual tranny bell color:
    Dynaco Mark III build IMG_8435

Making sweet music! There are a few things that bug me about the Mark III chassis layout, I wish the speaker & power connections were on the back. Ah well, a small price to pay...
    Dynaco Mark III build IMG_8430

....Anyway, thanks for looking & sharing my fun, folks!!
    Sincerely
    -- JunkyJan
    BC, Canada
    Clik2media
    Clik2media

Dynaco Mark III build Empty Dynaco Mark III build

Post by Clik2media Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:15 am

Nice!!! Very Happy

Dynaco Mark III build Empty Re: Dynaco Mark III build

Post by Guest Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:49 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
    Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:23 pm

PeterCapo wrote:
    Exactly which paint was that for the transformer covers? Can you quote a brand and part number?

Thanks.

While waiting on Jan to give the definitive answer, I will comment that having served in the US Navy for five years, I've seen shiploads (pun intended) of that color paint! Wink

Charlie
    JunkyJan
    JunkyJan

Dynaco Mark III build Empty Paint...

Post by JunkyJan Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:20 am

PeterCapo wrote:
    Exactly which paint was that for the transformer covers? Can you quote a brand and part number?

Thanks.
    Hi Peter

Sorry about my silence there - I didn't see the posting until now... :-( The specific paint I used was "Dupli-Color Engine Enamel", "New Ford Grey", code: CDE1611. I bought the paint from an automotive supply company (Canadian Tire, actually) here where I live.

-- 'Jan
    JunkyJan
    JunkyJan

Post by JunkyJan Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:32 am

Luddite wrote:
    While waiting on Jan to give the definitive answer, I will comment that having served in the US Navy for five years, I've seen shiploads (pun intended) of that color paint! Wink

Charlie

Hi Charlie... Couldn't help smiling. Having a side interest in Naval vessels of the WW2 period, I'd say it is slightly darker than the Haze Grey as used in U.S. Navy Measure 22 (Vertical Surfaces) or the post-war period ;-)

-- 'Jan
    Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:25 am

JunkyJan wrote:
    Luddite wrote:

Charlie

Hi Charlie... Couldn't help smiling. Having a side interest in Naval vessels of the WW2 period, I'd say it is slightly darker than the Haze Grey as used in U.S. Navy Measure 22 (Vertical Surfaces) or the post-war period ;-)

-- 'Jan

Yes, I'm sure you are correct on that paint shade. I do seem to recall that some equipment (electronics, etc.) pieces may have been darker grey. Of course that was all under artificial lighting so who can be sure. BTW, speaking of paint, I hope you didn't use red lead primer under that grey paint! Laughing
    stewdan

Post by stewdan Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:19 pm

Jan

I realize that this is an old thread, but how did you create your pictures?? I am asking because after I saved two of the under-the-chassis images, when I try to print them with Windows XP's Picture and Fax Viewer all I get is a black line, no matter what type of printer (ink-jet or laser-jet) that I try to use. When I look at the properties of the pictures I see that they were created with a Canon Camera but all the other properties look normal.

So, the $64000 Dollar question is ..... how does one print them?? ( I have printed lots of pictures that I found on-line but have never run into the Black-Line Picture problem!! )

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    stewdan

Post by stewdan Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:48 pm

Jan -- please ignore my previous POST, as I downloaded the Picassa Photo Editor by google and used it to print your Mark III pictures. Thanks anyway!
    Marty1234

Post by Marty1234 Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:35 pm

I just bought some hovland modified markiii's and I've been using my nad 3130s pre amp, sounds great how do you like your nad pre amp..Your amps look great what speakers are you using? I'm running dahlquist 10s and klipsch forte1s...
    JunkyJan
    JunkyJan

Post by JunkyJan Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:00 pm

Hi Marty

(Sorry saw this post only now)

I know it is sort of Sacrilege to have a hybrid system like this, I've never had the opportunity to take a 3130 apart, but the old NAD 114 etc series like I use were really well-made - Alps pot (Blue Velvet), all 1% resistors etc etc. The real reason why I have so far failed to replace it though is that I love the sound of the built-in MC phono amplifier. One day I will get around to replacing it, tho....

FWIW, I have always liked Mission speakers, ran a set of M71s for years but recentlly changed to Mission MX3s - wife "allowed" me some toys, I got a Cambridge 651C CD player + a DacMagic Plus at the same time.

-- JJ
    Marty1234

Post by Marty1234 Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:07 pm

I like eclectic..The dynacos were modified to run quad 57's..The 60 wpc seems fine, I still have to give the jbl sa-600 at 40 wpc a shot and the adcom 555ii at 200 wpc..ill be surprised if I don't stick with the dynacos..
    Dahlquist 10's p-a
    Klipsch forte 1s and a single 2.
    Denon dp 60L
    A gaggle of psb alpha's

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:45 am