The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Dynaco pas 3x, right and left channel issue

Johnyblack

Dynaco pas 3x, right and left channel issue Empty Dynaco pas 3x, right and left channel issue

Post by Johnyblack Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:10 pm

Hi there, I'm new to the group. I'm in the process of restoring my pas 3x, new power supply, up to date tubes, two new electrolytic caps on the bass controls and new rca jacks along with the resistors. The issue is that the right channel has a buzz. When the volume is turned down, it's more like a buzz-hum, as the volume is raised, the buzz lowers a bit, hum disappears, then becomes louder as the volume is raised. Also, with the left channel, there is less treble when the treble is all the way not being equal with the right channel level. The pot works somewhat because you can here the sweep when the bass is turned down but not as prevalent as the right channel and unfortunately I do like having the option with tome controls. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Johnyblack on Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : change title)
    peterh
    peterh

Dynaco pas 3x, right and left channel issue Empty Re: Dynaco pas 3x, right and left channel issue

Post by peterh Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:55 am

Johnyblack wrote:Hi there, I'm new to the group. I'm in the process of restoring my pas 3x, new power supply, up to date tubes, two new electrolytic caps on the bass controls and new rca jacks along with the resistors. The issue is that the right channel has a buzz. When the volume is turned down, it's more like a buzz-hum, as the volume is raised, the buzz lowers a bit, hum disappears, then becomes louder as the volume is raised. Also, with the left channel, there is less treble when the treble is all the way not being equal with the right channel level. The pot works somewhat because you can here the sweep when the bass is turned down but not as prevalent as the right channel and unfortunately I do like having the option with tome controls. Thanks in advance.

Was the issue here before you started to replace things ?

Hum in PAS often is associated with cable dress. Make sure the cabling is dons as the manual shows
    in the pictograms.
    Johnyblack

Dynaco pas 3x, right and left channel issue Empty Re: Dynaco pas 3x, right and left channel issue

Post by Johnyblack Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:31 am

I do understand about the wire wrapping and yes, those wires coming from the rca jacks, and selector switch are touchy. I acquired this with a failed power supply so there is no reference prior to this recent upgrade.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:49 pm

Johnyblack wrote:I do understand about the wire wrapping and yes, those wires coming from the rca jacks, and selector switch are touchy. I acquired this with a failed power supply so there is no reference prior to this recent upgrade.
    To keep hum low the wiring from the power supply should be located as in the manual.

And you did not answer : was the unit ok before starting to replace things ?
    Johnyblack

Post by Johnyblack Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:59 pm

Hi, like I initially mentioned. The unit was dead when I received it. The entire power supply was dead. So, no way to know how it sounded prior to my upgrade. The main thing other than the ground is why the treble is less in the left channel. Thanks!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 3:21 am