The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

ST-120 Supplementary Cap Module - What Specific Caps These Days?

arledgsc
    arledgsc

ST-120 Supplementary Cap Module - What Specific Caps These Days? Empty ST-120 Supplementary Cap Module - What Specific Caps These Days?

Post by arledgsc Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:47 am

Hi all,

What are the specific caps (manf. part number) used in the SCM for ST-120 kits today?  After 12 yrs. I am going to retire the original Cornell Dubilier Electronics (CDE) 330uf, 400V, 85C caps.  They have served me well but there are probably newer caps available with higher temperature/ hours ratings.

With the CDEs mounted I do not see any identifiable part numbers. The amp is installed so mainly looking at physical dimensions (W x H) for something else that will fit in the space.  Probably will recap all electrolytics when the ST-120 is pulled apart.  

And what are the values of the two voltage balancing resistors across the SCM capacitors. They are not listed on the schematic supplied in 2012.  
    Thanks in advance!
    Seamus
    Seamus

ST-120 Supplementary Cap Module - What Specific Caps These Days? Empty Re: ST-120 Supplementary Cap Module - What Specific Caps These Days?

Post by Seamus Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:07 am

Download Cornell Dubilier Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor Application Guide

There is a formula on p11 that will calculate the optimum balance resistance

fredeb likes this post

Rec

ST-120 Supplementary Cap Module - What Specific Caps These Days? Empty Re: ST-120 Supplementary Cap Module - What Specific Caps These Days?

Post by Rec Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:14 pm

330k 1w
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:36 pm

Thank you! That is an interesting formula on page 11 and calculates the balancing resistors should equal to or less that 2.7M ohm. At V+ = 500V and 400V cap rating. So 330K ohms is definitely less and assures voltages across the caps never get close to exceeding their ratings. Each 330K resistor consumes about 1/6 watt on average in the ST-120.

There are lots of nice electrolytic caps available today with extremely high temperature ratings compared to the CDE model used. The power transformer is just right there baking those SCM caps. Capacitor height is a main consideration on making a change it seems. Pondering moving the choke to one screw mounting (like to the other side with TDR). Then flip the 5-post SCM terminal around where the SCM caps mount 180 degs and taller cap friendly.

The CDE caps at 85C rating have held up well but feel I am pushing my luck as they age. In reality they will probably outlive me!
    Seamus
    Seamus

Post by Seamus Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:15 pm

The resistors are to bleed the caps after the power is disconnected. Nothing to do with voltage protection.
    My RoT* is to use 25% of the calculated value. Anything lower just wastes power and generates heat.

Use the biggest C at a voltage 10% higher than the open circuit rectified DC, the voltage applied until the tubes conduct.

ESR increases as electrolytics age.

IMO, the TDR is not optimum. The delay is too short and applies full power into empty caps for a huge current spike. A soft start that ramps up the voltage is preferred.

* Rule of Thumb

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 12:18 pm