The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

ST-70 Strange Behavior

moodyj2000

ST-70 Strange Behavior Empty ST-70 Strange Behavior

Post by moodyj2000 Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:04 pm

I had a nice untouched 70 show up on my bench. It has been stored a long time so needed work. I replaced the PCB board, can capacitor, bias circuit, and purchased all new tubes. Left channel is dead silent but right channel has a hum. Put a scope on it at the outputs and measured about 120 Hz so I went to checking grounds and solder joints.

I resoldered most of the joints and put a 1000 Hz sine wave on it from a signal generator. Outputs connected to speakers (with me and ear plugs). I have dummy loads but just wanted to hear if anything crackled. I started clamping on signal points inside the cabinet with my scope and noticed when I touched the case itself with my hand the hum dimmed. It didn't go away completely but definitely reduced in level. I clamped the scope onto the casing itself and I had 1.2V at fluctuating frequency but mostly around 120 Hz.

I feel like this is a grounding issue but everything is brought back to a single point on the chasis. Any thoughts?
    Mr Ridesglide
    Mr Ridesglide

ST-70 Strange Behavior Empty Re: ST-70 Strange Behavior

Post by Mr Ridesglide Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:22 pm

well it doesn't sound like a tube issue per se, but you could roll some tubes through it.
    I had this once with a guitar amp and it was indeed a loose pot, thus a ground issue. Your amp doesn't have any pots, but it does have jacks. I'd start on the right side jacks and go inwards perhaps. I'm not expert, but I have de-bugged a few things!

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:32 pm