The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Quad-section FM3 cap

pro_crip

Quad-section FM3 cap Empty Quad-section FM3 cap

Post by pro_crip Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:55 am

I just bought an FM3 that has turned out to be an excellent candidate for a baddog style rebuild. Since performance is more important to me than being totally stock, I plan on using the cap board from the FM3 zone in place of said cap. The cap itself looks to be in excellent condition, just a spot of surface rust and no bulging. I plan on sucking off all the solder from terminals and whatnot. Would this item have any value on the market for those who want to stay stock? I also need that plastic faceplate for the front face, where can I buy one? Thanks for listening.

Rich
    baddog1946
    baddog1946

Quad-section FM3 cap Empty Re: Quad-section FM3 cap

Post by baddog1946 Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:05 am

Hi:
    What plastic piece are you referring to? I have some parts left over from 2 tuners I cannibalized for other stuff maybe I have this part. Do you mean the plastic dial cover?
    The quad is of little value in my opinion because it is 40 years old and has unknown life left in it. The cap board has better specs than the original as well. I also have the complete parts list for a total rebuild with all the "Mouser" part numbers if you need that.
    Good luck with this project. My total rebuild tuner is superb. I did three others with various levels of parts replacement and the complete rebuild is by far superior to the others. Dead quiet and no frequency drift or station shifting. BTW make sure you use a very good ganged tuning capacitor. I had to replace the first one I used as it had a little play in it which made static. There are a couple of great threads on doing this rebuild on the net worth looking at BEFORE you start.
    Baddog1946
    pro_crip

Post by pro_crip Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:11 pm

Please excuse the lack of a part number here, insomnia sucks, that rectagular faceplate with the stereo indicator. The part that goes in front of the emm801 is what I need. From what little I've read so far about these guys, they sound great but there were some under-spec'd parts that needed replacement. So I figured I'd strip out all the old components for new. Old resistors and the like tend to drift over time and that aint good for a tuner. Anyhoo I got a load of Bottlehead gear to build before I get to this. Was kinda hoping to sell off that quad cap to pay for some of the upgrades. Oh well. Thanks a bunch

Rich

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:16 pm