The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Dynaco Mark III Factory-Built Versus Kit

stewdan

Dynaco Mark III Factory-Built Versus Kit Empty Dynaco Mark III Factory-Built Versus Kit

Post by stewdan Sun May 22, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi --

Factory-built versus kit versions of the Mark III: I know about the Chassis Label, the use of rivets instead of nuts and bolts and the 1000 ohm resistors between pins 5 & 6 of the 6550 sockets on the Factory Built version.

But are there any significant wiring differences between two versions of the amplifier??

The Dynaco assembly manual (which I assume is for the kit version) shows one of the choke leads going to the SQUARE Tab of the quad cap and the other choke lead going to Pin #8 of the GZ34 socket. Then a wire runs from Pin #8 of the GZ34 socket back to the HALF-CIRCLE or HALF_MOON Tab of the quad cap.

The few factory-built Mark III's that I have seen all had the stock 30-20-20-20 quad cap and had the choke leads going to the SQUARE Tab and the HALF-CIRCLE or HALF_MOON Tabs. Then a wire ran from the HALF-CIRCLE or HALF_MOON Tab of the quad cap back to Pin #8 of the GZ34 socket.

Is this correct or are there some other wiring differences that I am missing??

Would there be any appreciable voltage differences for readings taken on the Dynaco PCB or at the quad cap tabs based upon how the wires run?

Please let me know,
    Stew bounce

DynakitParts
    DynakitParts

Dynaco Mark III Factory-Built Versus Kit Empty Re: Dynaco Mark III Factory-Built Versus Kit

Post by DynakitParts Wed May 25, 2011 11:07 pm

Stew,
    Just a different method of wiring the choke...Either way is correct.

With the jumper lead from the quad cap section (1) to pin # 8 of the rectifier's
    tube socket...you can connect the choke lead to either end of this jumper lead.

Why would the factory tech wire it this way which conflicts with the manual...
    Who knows?

Kevin @ dynakit

Kevin @ Dynakit

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:17 am