The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Which Deoxit for pots?

j beede
    j beede

Which Deoxit for pots? Empty Which Deoxit for pots?

Post by j beede Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:38 am

Anyone have good success using Deoxit on common carbon potentiometers and switches as used in Dynaco preamps? Which formula? They offer so many different products with somewhat nebulous descriptions. Is there something better?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Which Deoxit for pots? Empty Re: Which Deoxit for pots?

Post by Bob Latino Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:10 am

I have use Caig "Pro Gold" and it works well as a contact enhancer. It is now called Caig Gold "G-Series". If you need a cleaner on the controls because of intermittent contact then use their "D-Series".

Bob
    j beede
    j beede

Post by j beede Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:19 pm

Thanks Bob. Deoxit products are not cheap and I would rather buy the "right one" rather than starting a collection. Sounds like the D-series is the way to go. I have some vintage Marantz push buttons and Dyna preamp pots and switches that are intermittent. If anyone has a known-good recipe for restoring/cleaning switches and pots I'd like to hear about them. Most everything I have tried is a temporary patch with replacement being the real solution. If there is another way I'd like to try it.

Anyone using Caig/Deoxit products to clean tube sockets? Do you use an orthodonture brush or similar? Care to share your sources for any/all of these?
    ...j
    j4570

Post by j4570 Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:03 pm

To clean sockets, I use Deoxit and a nylon reinforced pipe cleaner. DO NOT buy your pipe cleaners in the CRAFT section or from a CRAFT store. They are JUNK for cleaning, will rip, leave felt behind, etc. Go to a drugstore or Wal-Mart to the pipe section and buy them there.

I know some people use a brass brush or something similiar, but the pipe cleaner is what I use.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:25 am