The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+4
Tom
Roy Mottram
j4570
GP49
8 posters

Amazon.com Customer Reviews: Wattgate 381 Audio Grade Duplex Socket

GP49

Amazon.com Customer Reviews: Wattgate 381 Audio Grade Duplex Socket Empty Amazon.com Customer Reviews: Wattgate 381 Audio Grade Duplex Socket

Post by GP49 Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:53 am

Amazon.com Customer Reviews: Wattgate 381 Audio Grade Duplex Socket:

Check out the Customer Reviews at Amazon.com for the Wattgate 381 Audio Grade Duplex Socket. It's an audiophile replacement for standard AC wall sockets. For $147.72 (a discount; original price was $148.00) you get "a no compromise solution for the demanding AV enthusiast...Why build a performance power cable only to plug it into the same receptacle thats been in use for almost 100 years?" With a three layer plating process on the receptacle contacts (which) are cryogenically heat treat hardened, how can you lose?

Once you have yours, you can add comments like the following samples. If you want to read some more besides these, go to:

All Customer Comments, Wattgate 381 Audio Grade Duplex Socket

> I received my Wattgate 381 Audio Grade Duplex Socket in the mail yesterday. Well, I shouldn't say "in" the mail because when
    > I went to my porch to get the package, the package was just floating there. It was about 2 or 3 feet off the ground. I grabbed the
    > delivery man before he left (as he was right down the street) and he said, and I quote "I don't want any trouble, just take your package
    > and leave me alone".
    >
    > Not only was that odd, but when I took it inside, I couldn't put it down on the table. The package would just float. Very strange indeed.
    > I go to open the package and I find there is nothing inside. Now I am angry. This is supposed to be the best receptacle on the market and
    > all I got was a floating box. Inside there is a piece of paper. "Place a drop of water in the box".
    >
    > As I have nothing else to do, I add a drop of water to the bottom of the box and to my surprise the receptacle began to re-assemble
    > itself. I should have known. Nano-machine technology. Apparently this item was assembled using nano machines and shipped with nano
    > machines. Normal box packaging would damage the sensitive audio components. I should have known.
    >
    > Unfortunately one of the machines went haywire, escaped the box and ate my television. I am not happy about it. However, I did install
    > the socket after throwing the box in the yard (the machines die after being outside for 20 minutes). I have never, in my life heard audio
    > like this. I finally understood Mozart, Beethoven and Nirvana. I understand music on a whole new level. I have become...a music God. I
    > only drink Tuscan Whole Milk. I am one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> While pouring a fresh glass of Tuscan whole milk, I splashed a few drops on the wall... Horrified at my clumsiness, I tried to clean the
    > mess from my recently installed Wattgate 381 receptacle with a dampened microfiber cloth. I accidentally pushed the wet cloth a bit
    > too far into one of the slots with a screwdriver and received a rather large jolt of electricity.
    >
    > While electrified, I swear I heard the sweet, sweet voices of a multitude of angels all singing in perfect harmony. That sound is
    > with me still and I've decided to forgo the purchase of a new Denon sound system and will invest instead in a new gold-plated screwdriver
    > so I can hear the voices again and again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Yesterday the hospital called me. My grandmother had had a car accident, and was in surgery. I rushed there, and a nurse friend of
    > mine (bow-chicka-wow-wow) got me into an observation room off the OR. I watched my grandmother's heartrate flatline. The crash cart rushed
    > over, and instead of a defibrillator there was a Wattgate 381 Audio Grade Duplex Socket and a screwdriver. I watched, still in shock as
    > they placed the screwdriver into my dying grandmother's hand, and carefully guided her hand to the socket and had her insert the
    > screwdriver into the socket. Immediately, there was a bright flash, and my grandmother jumped up on the operating table and started
    > singing the most beautiful opera I have ever heard. I think it was Carmen. Whatever it was, it brought tears to my eyes. And the socket
    > wasn't even wired to any other electrical system! My grandmother has completely recovered, and a major label just signed her new punk-rock
    > band. She no longer drinks or smokes either! And I owe it all to the Wattgate 381 Audio Grade Duplex Socket. Thank you so much Wattgate
    > 381 Audio Grade Duplex Socket!!!
    >
    > P.S. I now carry a Wattgate 381 Audio Grade Duplex Socket and a screwdriver with me at all times, in case of emergencies. I will
    > never be without one again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> I purchased four of these, as I wanted to improve the audio quality of my home theater setup, and had read in other reviews that these
    > outlets were made with clippings of Christ's fingernails.
    >
    > After my harrowing experience, I highly doubt that.
    >
    > Upon arriving home from work, I found the package containing the outlets to be hovering a few inches off of the porch. Nervous at
    > first, I remembered from previous reviews that this was normal behavior for these outlets. Unlike the other reviews though, my
    > package seemed to be covered in a dark red substance. I found this was because the package had dismembered my delivery driver, and had
    > stored his (her?) remains underneath our glider rocker. Nervously, I brought the package into my house. Thank God my wife and kids weren't
    > home at the time.
    >
    > When I tore the package open, the outlets demanded a sacrifice before bestowing their audio goodness upon my household. Reluctantly, I
    > offered them our dog Patches. They instantly devoured the dogs flesh and soul. It was horrific to say the least, but unbeknownst to them,
    > Patches was old and cancer-riddled anyways, so it was a win-win.
    >
    > After the sacrifice was completed, the outlets went to work, not only installing themselves into our brick wall, but also making blood
    > begin to flow up our walls. They said that this improved the voltage, but I still have my doubts.
    >
    > After the amazing self-installation, I turned on my Playstation 3 to sample my new audio excellence, and let me be the first to tell you,
    > this is where you make your investment back TEN FOLD. Upon powering up, I went to put on a Blu-Ray movie, but found that the outlets had
    > transferred EVERY movie ever made onto my PS3's now 100 PB hard drive.
    >
    > However, I was forced by the outlets to watch a sex tape involving Kathy Bates and a gorilla. While not my idea of a good time, you
    > could really hear the bass in Ms. Bates' grunts, and the highs in the gorilla's cries like never before!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> I was very satisfied with this outlet behind my entertainment center with my Panamax M5300-PM 11-Outlet Home Theater Power Conditioner
    > plugged in to it. Sound has never been better. Emboldened by the success, I thought to put one of these outlets in the garage where I
    > plug in my Black & Decker CMM1200 19-Inch 24-Volt Cordless Electric Mulching Lawn Mower (which I like very much, thank you). It took a
    > couple of charges to get to full effectiveness, but yes, the cut has become more even. Yes, there used to be small ruts where the wheels
    > went and minor ridges next to them, and the odd weed sticking up, but no more! Now I go out with my laser level and check the grass after
    > each cut, and it's perfect! The bagging feature works better, too. I haven't had to get out the broom or blower in a month!

j4570

Amazon.com Customer Reviews: Wattgate 381 Audio Grade Duplex Socket Empty Re: Amazon.com Customer Reviews: Wattgate 381 Audio Grade Duplex Socket

Post by j4570 Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:01 am

maybe the power company could install audiophile grade wire from the powerplant 50 miles away to your house? I mean, if you are plugging your line conditioner into the outlet, isn't it supposed to condition the line? Why would you need this receptacle. Most line conditions have several receptacles in them and are not this "quality".

But, I will say this, all receptacles are NOT created equal. I did splurge for backwire industrial grade receptacles when I did my garage, which do have better contacts (and are 20 AMP-the ones I chose). They were like $2.28 over the $0.69 standard receptacle. They do indeed last longer for high plug in areas. And when I replace a receptacle, depending on what it is used for, I use a better grade sometimes.

the comments are funny though. These things aren't my cup of tea.
    GP49

Amazon.com Customer Reviews: Wattgate 381 Audio Grade Duplex Socket Empty Re: Amazon.com Customer Reviews: Wattgate 381 Audio Grade Duplex Socket

Post by GP49 Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:11 pm

j4570 wrote:
    I did splurge for backwire industrial grade receptacles when I did my garage, which do have better contacts (and are 20 AMP-the ones I chose). They were like $2.28 over the $0.69 standard receptacle. They do indeed last longer for high plug in areas. And when I replace a receptacle, depending on what it is used for, I use a better grade sometimes.

When replacing a receptacle, I use a better grade, always. If the original wore out in that location, I need a better one, or I'll be in there changing it again in the future. And my time is worth more than $1.59 plus tax!

But neither my diligence nor $1.59 will get the benefits of what these users report. And wouldn't EVERYONE want those, and more that are described in other comments? Except for the sex tape involving Kathy Bates and a gorilla, though. I think... lol!

Post by Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:41 pm

I started a thread on this same devise last August, but it's good to see the tongue- firmly- in-cheek reviews of the Wattgate brought to light once again. It's also good that audiophiles can poke fun at themselves; it's a good "outlet" from some of the frustration that can be inherent at times, in this hobby.
    GP49

Post by GP49 Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:41 pm

Captain Coconut wrote: I started a thread on this same devise last August, but it's good to see the tongue- firmly- in-cheek reviews of the Wattgate brought to light once again. It's also good that audiophiles can poke fun at themselves; it's a good "outlet" from some of the frustration that can be inherent at times, in this hobby.

Just goes to show, you can't keep a good (for whatever, even a good laugh) receptacle down!
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:14 pm

I may be totally out of line, but this is why I question "audiophiles" (audiofools?) who buy $500 power cords.
    They plug them into their standard house outlet. OK, so now, if you spend another $150 to replace the wall outlet,
    you are still only 1/3 of the way there. You must replace the wiring to the fuse box (anybody need some 8 guage pure silver wire??).
    Might as well replace the fuse box too, and get some audiophile fuses or breakers.
    Certainly you MUST replace the fuses in your amp or preamp with "HI-FI" fuses, those are $40-50 each.
    I'd rather spend the extra $1000 on better speakers where I really CAN hear the difference!!
    Tom

Post by Tom Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:15 pm

FWIW -

The power company uses aluminum overhead wires to bring the juice to your house;
    so, to keep the electricity as fresh and unpolluted as possible,
    consider rewiring all your audiophile circuits in aluminum.
    Then get rid of the silver and copper wire in your preamp and amp as well.
    I've got a deal on aluminum interconnects too if you're in the market. Call me.

Shocked Tom

GP49

Post by GP49 Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:51 pm

Tom wrote:FWIW -

The power company uses aluminum overhead wires to bring the juice to your house;
    so, to keep the electricity as fresh and unpolluted as possible,
    consider rewiring all your audiophile circuits in aluminum.
    Then get rid of the silver and copper wire in your preamp and amp as well.
    I've got a deal on aluminum interconnects too if you're in the market. Call me.

Shocked Tom

Don't give the audiophool marketing people any ideas.

On the other hand, DO give the audiophool marketing people MORE ideas. We can always use a good laugh. cheers
    mantha3
    mantha3

Post by mantha3 Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:26 pm

made with clippings of Christ's fingernails
    j4570

Post by j4570 Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:04 pm

Tom,

They did use aluminum wire in homes, remember that? It was responsible for a lot of fires as it required special outlets/connectors which failed dues to dissimiliar metals or were replaced with improper parts by unknowning persons. I mean it's still used some for large cables, but for the most part, it's long gone elsewhere in houses. See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum_wire

The Air Conditioner in my house was wired with it, and the unit been replaced once before. The last time (going on 30 something years-2 units), the A/C guy refused to do the job unless he ran new copper back to the service panel. When he said it was included in his bid, and he was already the lowest bidder on the same unit, and a reputable installer, I took him up on it!!! Fast!!!

You won't find me using Aluminum Wire.......

I wonder if Wattgate will come out with a receptable rated for aluminum......

Jason

Tom

Post by Tom Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:01 am

Jason -

I live in a vintage 1970's house here in spacecoast FL and it is in fact wired with aluminum. I humbly suggest this is why my audio quality is superior to others, even without the Wattgate 381 which I'm saving for.

In refurbishing the house I've (that's a personal I, not contractor) rewired both baths, the kitchen and the AC/hotwater with copper. Man is that a pain. Aluminum is a problem both for dissimilar metals and with the expansion and contraction of wire with heating/cooling due to demand that loosens screws at junctions. This allows a tiny spark during switch on that can ignite lint and cause a house fire. Clean junction boxes, new outlets and staying ahead of the situation are the second best prevetion. The best is rewiring the entire house but I have that Wattgate to save up for......

Cool Tom

edit: Now that I think of it, the AC, HW and oven were copper already and did not need replacement. Thankfully, the audio circuit was not.
    sailor

Amazon.com Customer Reviews: Wattgate 381 Audio Grade Duplex Socket Empty Line noise solution

Post by sailor Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:18 am

If you want to clear up all of the noise out of your 120 volt line this will do it. No voo doo originally designed by bell labs in the 1930's. No fancy cords or boxes are needed or will matter.
    http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent/Transcendent_Sound_Power_Supply.html
    I have used one for 5 years and it works. Rated at 1000VA I have my whole stereo and tv connected to it. It takes your single 120 volt line and divides it into 2-60 volt lines that are out of phase with each other. When re combined in your amp the out of phase noise cancel each other out. Nothing before it will matter. How much of an improvement will depend on the equipment you have hooked to it. I heard a huge difference on my Adcom GFA555 not much on my Dynaco 70. The TV picture was also better.
    JunkyJan
    JunkyJan

Amazon.com Customer Reviews: Wattgate 381 Audio Grade Duplex Socket Empty The comments on Amazon gets even funnier all the time!

Post by JunkyJan Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:05 pm

My favourite is the "Floating Delivery Box" one - my wife was asking me i am sniggering like a fool here all by myself, had to explain that No, I am NOT getting one of these!

-- JJ
    --
    j4570

Post by j4570 Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:15 pm

Junkyjan. One of what. Outlet or line conditioner?
    Tom

Post by Tom Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:32 am

Received my Wattgate 381 and truly, the sound is amazing.
    I am, however, having trouble keeping the box in the recycle bin.
    Any help appreciated.

Tom
    frank
    frank

Post by frank Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:42 pm

sailor wrote:If you want to clear up all of the noise out of your 120 volt line this will do it. No voo doo originally designed by bell labs in the 1930's. No fancy cords or boxes are needed or will matter.
    http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent/Transcendent_Sound_Power_Supply.html
    I have used one for 5 years and it works. Rated at 1000VA I have my whole stereo and tv connected to it. It takes your single 120 volt line and divides it into 2-60 volt lines that are out of phase with each other. When re combined in your amp the out of phase noise cancel each other out. Nothing before it will matter. How much of an improvement will depend on the equipment you have hooked to it. I heard a huge difference on my Adcom GFA555 not much on my Dynaco 70. The TV picture was also better.

Thanks, I've been looking for a balanced power source I could afford!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:22 pm