The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+8
Gary
kevco
erlingt
j4570
vav2sab
GP49
Roy Mottram
Bob Latino
12 posters

Excellent and relatively inexpensive EL34 tubes for your ST-70, Mark IV

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Excellent and relatively inexpensive EL34 tubes for your ST-70, Mark IV Empty Excellent and relatively inexpensive EL34 tubes for your ST-70, Mark IV

Post by Bob Latino Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:22 pm

I have been testing some of the lesser expensive EL34 tubes in my ST-70. One tube that has really impressed me so far is the Shuguang made EL34B. Sometimes these are also sold under Valve Art and Ruby brand names but both the Valve Art and the Ruby are made by Shuguang in China. These are very well made and durable tubes that only retail for $10-$14 a tube depending on where you buy them. Some people tend to knock Chinese made tubes but they have came a long way in the past few years especially in their output tubes. These Shuguang made tubes sound really good. Excellent bottom end and very good in the vocal range. A very well balanced tonal presentation. Not as bright as the ElectroHarmonix EL34 tubes. A few good review of the Shuguang EL34B tubes may be found at the link below ...

Tubes Asylum review of the Shuguang EL34B

Bob

Last edited by Bob Latino on Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Excellent and relatively inexpensive EL34 tubes for your ST-70, Mark IV Empty Re: Excellent and relatively inexpensive EL34 tubes for your ST-70, Mark IV

Post by Roy Mottram Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:09 pm

just as a note, I have heard MOST but not all of these tubes in various ST70s I've had over the years, I'll agree with Bob the Shugang's are excellent, I have saved a quad of them with original Shugang logo from about 4 years ago, along with a quad of 60s era GE 6CA7 "fat boys"
    (my favorites) and the newer EH6CA7 "fat boy" tubes. The standard production JJ EL34 is an excellent low cost tube.
    I used to have a NOS quad of Siemens EL34s from the 70s and they were also excellent.
    Roy www.tubes4hifi.com
    GP49

Excellent and relatively inexpensive EL34 tubes for your ST-70, Mark IV Empty Re: Excellent and relatively inexpensive EL34 tubes for your ST-70, Mark IV

Post by GP49 Thu May 14, 2009 3:18 am

I have to agree on the Shuguang EL34s. They sound good in my Dynaco Mk II amplifiers, though the "matched pair" I tried weren't matched as well as I'd like, if my Dynaco were still stock and running a single bias adjustment pot.

With separate bias adjustments, the degree of mismatch I found is no problem; and the match would probably be much better had the tubes been purchased from a vendor as a matched pair or matched quad. These were from a local guitar amp repair shop, which had bought them in bulk straight from China via an EBay listing; so there was no matching done.
    vav2sab

Post by vav2sab Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:29 am

What do you guys think about the Mesa Boogie EL34 matched pairs (part No. STR 447)? Several sources say, they are Sovtek Russian tubes.
    j4570

Post by j4570 Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:37 pm

What about the Russian tubes? What's the number 6P3N or something?

Anyway, I like this thread, as when I get to rebuild the ST70 and enter the Dynaco world, I want some "cheaper" (read lost cost) tubes to fire it up on, rather than toast some rare tube!!!

I say "cheaper" because I don't want to buy junk, as I will keep them as spares.

Jason
    erlingt
    erlingt

Post by erlingt Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:25 pm

The russian is 6P3S-E, and it is a very fine tube in the S-70. Still cheap and not junk. IMHO it is much better than modern EL34.
    kevco
    kevco

Post by kevco Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:39 am

6P3S-e tubes reproduce mid to high range frequencies wonderfully in an ST70. Highly recommended tubes, but a bit light bass wise. I bought a tightly matched quad for $27 recently...Doesn't get cheaper than that for NOS power tubes....
    j4570

Post by j4570 Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:35 pm

Kevco,

where did you get a matched quad for that?
    kevco
    kevco

Post by kevco Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:53 am

j4570 wrote:Kevco,

Sorry, I haven't been through here in a while...Ebay seller BSA_79 is my guy. He is in Ural, Russian Federation. He doesn't sell these as "matched" but my quad was very evenly matched, probably because they are military tubes made on the same tooling, probably on the same day. Took 21 days to ship to me in Pennsylvania, USA.
    http://myworld.ebay.com/bsa_79/
    Gary

Post by Gary Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:35 pm

kevco wrote:
    j4570 wrote:Kevco,

Ebay seller BSA_79 is my guy. He is in Ural, Russian Federation.

Same source for me. Package arrived in about 2 weeks in nice shape with my name and address in English and Russian. Great sounding tubes that keep getting better.
    Sled108
    Sled108

Post by Sled108 Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:33 am

Whoa...How do they sound up against KT77's?...$35 for a quad of Russian Submarine Tubes is worth the price just to say that you have "Red October" Tubes..
    Gary

Post by Gary Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:24 am

I haven't had anything other than EL34's, so I cant comment on a KT77 comparison.
    kevco
    kevco

Post by kevco Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:55 am

[/quote]Same source for me. Package arrived in about 2 weeks in nice shape with my name and address in English and Russian. Great sounding tubes that keep getting better. [/quote]

Yeah! I really liked seeing my name in Cyrillic so much I removed the shipping label and saved it...KT77's are overpriced unless you're talking JJ's and I just don't like their tubes at all. Between the masses of EL-34 options out there and the cool beam tube choices (KT-66, 6CA7EH, 6P3S-E, etc.) I honestly see no need for KT77's...
    pioneer

Post by pioneer Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:29 am

kevco wrote:6P3S-e tubes reproduce mid to high range frequencies wonderfully in an ST70. Highly recommended tubes, but a bit light bass wise. I bought a tightly matched quad for $27 recently...Doesn't get cheaper than that for NOS power tubes....

Interesting thread, I have an st70 and two Mark4 that have had their quad capacitors, bias circuits and capacitors upgraded. I was lucky in that all came with Mullard el34 xf2 and all test good. But I am intrigued with trying the 6p3s-e tubes mainly because of price and the fun of rolling, are these tubes plug and play on an almost stock units are there other tubes in addition to these that are? I currently bias @1.46 do I need to change that.I use these in a bi-amp set up with these rotating as my hi-end with ss on the low end.
    Gary
    xlr8

Post by xlr8 Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:03 am

I just checked out BSA_79 on ebay and he says the 6P3S-e's are rated at 5000 hrs. I was wondering how the Shuguangs might compare. I can get them down the street for $12 ea., but would love to try the 6P3S-e's.
    captn
    captn

Post by captn Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:02 am

Based on comments from this thread, I bought a set of the Russian 6P3S-E tubes from eBay seller BSA_79.  These are nice tubes.  A set of four was $27 plus $12 shipping and delivery was exactly 3 weeks.  It seems hard to beat a set of mil spec tubes for less than $10 each delivered.

James

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:33 am