The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Rapid Cycling During Power Outages

SpotcheckBilly

Rapid Cycling During Power Outages Empty Rapid Cycling During Power Outages

Post by SpotcheckBilly Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:55 pm

We have occasional power outages in our area mostly due to storm activity that more often than not include a rapid series of on/off cycles before the power fully goes off.

Since I'm aware that this behavior can really adversely affect tube gear I installed an Intermatic Panel Guard whole house surge protector and an APC G50 power filter that is equipped with a variable delay turn on/shut off feature.

I'm able to set this delay anywhere between 4 and 255 seconds. My question is - what is a safe delay time to use for my ST120 with KT120's? At this time I've dialed it in at 60 seconds. Is that about right or should I go for more delay time?

Otherwise, our power provider does pretty well. So far the input voltage runs between 120 and 122 V and I've yet to experience any brown-outs. But the season has just started. affraid

Cheers,
    SB
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Rapid Cycling During Power Outages Empty Re: Rapid Cycling During Power Outages

Post by Bob Latino Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:20 pm

Hi SB,

On your Panel Guard ... Everyone may have a different opinion but probably 30 seconds minumum for the quad cap to discharge to the point where a restart won't take out the rectifier. Having your Panel Guard set up for 60 seconds IMHO is fine. You probably don't need any more delay than that.

Bob
    SpotcheckBilly

Post by SpotcheckBilly Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:30 pm

Bob,

Thank you for the prompt response. Rather be safe than sorry Very Happy

Cheers,
    SB
    heyraz
    heyraz

Post by heyraz Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:46 pm

I thought the purpose of the diode mod was to protect the rectifier tube from a rapid cycle power outage. In the diode mod diagram however, the diodes are between the transformer and the rectifier. Why not between the rectifier and the quad cap?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:19 am