The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Cleaning/rehabbing/prettying-up tube power and output transformers.

DarthBubba

Cleaning/rehabbing/prettying-up tube power and output transformers. Empty Cleaning/rehabbing/prettying-up tube power and output transformers.

Post by DarthBubba Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:12 am

Greetings my fellow HollowState Devotees!

Is there an accepted, "best" way to clean up lightly rusted laminations and covers on power and output transformers? I've been lucky enough to win a Dynaco ST-35 on eBay cheers and want to restore/rehab it when it arrives. The pictures show some rust on the transformers, which I suspect is superficial and not fatal. I thought I'd ask here first, rather than damage transformers or allow the rust to continue to spread.

Thanks in advance.
    Tanner

Cleaning/rehabbing/prettying-up tube power and output transformers. Empty Re: Cleaning/rehabbing/prettying-up tube power and output transformers.

Post by Tanner Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:14 am

Sponge sanding blocks, get the medium grit. Sand lightly untill the rust is gone. Use a paint brush (dry) and brush all the dust out of the grooves and nooks. Mask the wiring with Green or Blue painters tape because it removes very easy. Rustoleum or Krylon have a semi-flat black paint that works awesome. I few light coats just not one thick heavy coat. Allow the transformers to dry for 24 hours. You should be looking good

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 1:57 am