The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Fuse blows when I put ST 70 on its side

kens770

Fuse blows when I put ST 70 on its side  Empty Fuse blows when I put ST 70 on its side

Post by kens770 Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:21 pm

I have a problem with my ST-70. I am rebuilding it and have it finished and want to test the voltages. However with the GZ34 plugged in when I tilt the amp on its side the amp make the sound of a transformer with a large in-rush current and then the fuse blows. I figure the GZ34 must have a loose plate, cathode, etc. I had the tube tested and of course it tested good.

My question, is it possible for this to happen, tilting the amp and a fuse blows. I can turn the amp upside down without the GZ34 and nothing happens.

Thanks again for your response.

Ken
    hawaii.ken
    hawaii.ken

Fuse blows when I put ST 70 on its side  Empty Re: Fuse blows when I put ST 70 on its side

Post by hawaii.ken Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:15 am

Check your HV wiring after the GZ34.
    Sal
    Sal

Fuse blows when I put ST 70 on its side  Empty Re: Fuse blows when I put ST 70 on its side

Post by Sal Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:35 pm

It can also be a bad output tube shorting when you tilt it, its a long shot but do not disregard it. Without the 5ar4 tube you are not feeding any B+ to the tubes.

Sal
    DynakitParts
    DynakitParts

Post by DynakitParts Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:35 pm

Ken,
    Could be a bad tube socket having loose contact with the pins when the amp turned sideways. A good method to support the ST-70 upside down to check the voltages is to remove the bottom cover and then install the top vented cover. Rest the amp on the top cover... Of course...having a top cover would work best.

Kevin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:36 am