The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

MK3 VTA Board

rudes

MK3 VTA Board Empty MK3 VTA Board

Post by rudes Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:28 pm

This board uses 2 12AU7 driver tubes. I have a mix of vintage Sylvania, Mullard, Tungsol, etc. I don't have enough of each to put 2 of the same brand in both of the amps. In other words 2 Tungsol in one amp and 2 in the other. Does it matter if I put 2 Tungsol in one amp and two Sylvania in the other amp, or should I do one Tungsol and one Sylvania in each?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

MK3 VTA Board Empty Re: MK3 VTA Board

Post by Bob Latino Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:34 pm

Hi,

It doesn't matter which tube is in there and they all should work well together - BUT - changing out the front (voltage amplifier) tube will have a lot more influence on the sound of your two amps. What I would do, if you only have two of one type of tube, is make the amps have the same tube line up - like a Tung-Sol in the front position and a Sylvania in the rear position of BOTH amps. Then swap the tubes from front to back and note any change in the sound of the amps.

I am sure that you will find a combination in both amps that will sound fine with your associated equipment.

Bob
    rudes

Post by rudes Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:32 pm

That's what I thought made the most sense. Thanks Bob!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:06 am