The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

More Powerful Tubes on the Way?

kevinmi
    kevinmi

More Powerful Tubes on the Way? Empty More Powerful Tubes on the Way?

Post by kevinmi Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:27 pm

In the April 2013 issue of The Absolute Sound Magazine, Dick Olsher comments on page 68 "I heard talk of an even more massive KT150 being in the works, and it seems that the power game is alive and well in tube audio".
    Could we be in for more powerful output tubes in the future?
    baddog1946
    baddog1946

More Powerful Tubes on the Way? Empty Re: More Powerful Tubes on the Way?

Post by baddog1946 Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:15 am

Wow!
    I hope so, it might be a candidate for my latest amp. I got plenty of VDC at (800+)in the power trannie
    Jim McShane

Post by Jim McShane Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:20 pm

If indeed there was a higher dissipation tube coming, the amount of heater current it would require would almost certainly make it only suitable for amps designed to use it. That's why I confess to having my doubts about that bit of conjecture.
    baddog1946
    baddog1946

Post by baddog1946 Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:22 pm

That's probably correct.
    Times are tough and getting tougher we will more likely see production contracting and stuff disappearing.
    DarthBubba

Post by DarthBubba Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:07 pm

Jim McShane wrote:If indeed there was a higher dissipation tube coming, the amount of heater current it would require would almost certainly make it only suitable for amps designed to use it. That's why I confess to having my doubts about that bit of conjecture.

While you can always add heater transformers, where is the output transformer for this thing? Are we looking at an entirely new unit to couple a speaker to this tube (or these tubes if in push-pull config) in terms of plate impedance and power handling? We'd need a pretty big core to prevent saturation in the bass octaves, and with tubes this powerful you can bet the bass-o-holics will be the first ones in the pool.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 5:11 pm