The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

KT 120 tubes installed (pic)

kevinmi
    kevinmi

KT 120 tubes installed (pic) Empty KT 120 tubes installed (pic)

Post by kevinmi Sun May 05, 2013 11:01 am

I just got a set of KT-120 tubes and installed them in my ST-120. They are warming up right now so I can bias them. I'm going to set them at .550 mv to start with, and maybe play around with different settings after they break in a bit. Those big tubes sure look nice along with that big GZ33 rectifier tube![img]KT 120 tubes installed (pic) KT-120andDelphi002[/img]
    kevinmi
    kevinmi

KT 120 tubes installed (pic) Empty Re: KT 120 tubes installed (pic)

Post by kevinmi Sun May 05, 2013 11:05 am

another shot[img]KT 120 tubes installed (pic) KT-120andDelphi003[/img]
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sun May 05, 2013 1:25 pm

Pretty ... don't forget to post up a night pic when you get them lit.

That GZ33 fits right in with those big bottles. You get them from the Tube Store? I don't see their obnoxious blue labels on the bases - how dast they cover up that shiny chrome?? Harumph.

Wondering about the transformers ... what color are the bells? Look sorta bronzish, but pics can lie with shiny metals picking up reflections and all. I do like the look though.

I keep waiting on a rainy day so I can get to work on my custom chassis and see how MY KT120's look mounted up. Grumble ...

Oh. One more project for you - rewire the sockets to put the getter burns to the sides. Come on ... you KNOW you want to ... Twisted Evil

kevinmi
    kevinmi

Post by kevinmi Sun May 05, 2013 1:57 pm

sKiZo wrote:Pretty ... don't forget to post up a night pic when you get them lit.

That GZ33 fits right in with those big bottles. You get them from the Tube Store? I don't see their obnoxious blue labels on the bases - how dast they cover up that shiny chrome?? Harumph.

Wondering about the transformers ... what color are the bells? Look sorta bronzish, but pics can lie with shiny metals picking up reflections and all. I do like the look though.

I keep waiting on a rainy day so I can get to work on my custom chassis and see how MY KT120's look mounted up. Grumble ...

Oh. One more project for you - rewire the sockets to put the getter burns at the back. Come on ... you KNOW you want to ... Twisted Evil

The tubes came from C-tech. I don't need to buy tubes from a store that wants to put their advertising sticker on them.
    The transformers are painted gold with a high temp gloss finish over them.
    I listened to the KT120 tubes for a couple of hours, and they sound great! The bass is really there, as is the highs. I have a good feeling that I'm going to enjoy this tube set up.
    I'm not going to rewire anything else on this amp- I've already replaced the driver board with the new low gain board, added the time delay module, added the rectifier diode upgrade, added the volume control. I doubt that I'll ever hear another amp that sounds as good as mine does right now in it's present configuration. You'll know what I'm talking about when your's is done!
    I would like to someday have a custom chassis built with dual meters out front and the power tubes staggered so you can see all four of them lit up instead of the back ones being blocked from view by the front tubes.
    That's the neat thing about this hobby- you can go as far as your imagination will take you.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sun May 05, 2013 2:24 pm

I was looking at my KT120's and it looks like all I'd have to do is give the sockets a quarter twist to put the spots to the side. I also want to put the TungSol logo towards the front. Simple enough seeing I haven't drilled the mounting holes yet - just have to pay real close to the wiring as it won't look like any of my reference pics. Good deal that the pins are clearly marked. Might have to stretch a lead here and there, but I already expect to have to do that due to the increased spacing.

PS ... if you're impressed now, should be floored when those tubes break in. You're not working them that hard, so I figure maybe 100 hours before they really start to sing?

Oh. And thanx for the reminder - I just put a posty note on the chassis blank to remind me to turn the sockets ...
    stewdan

Post by stewdan Mon May 06, 2013 7:29 am

Kevin -- what are the "standoff feet" underneath your ST-120? Are they a Brand Name? Or, where did you get them?

Thanks, Stew
    kevinmi
    kevinmi

Post by kevinmi Mon May 06, 2013 3:57 pm

stewdan wrote:Kevin -- what are the "standoff feet" underneath your ST-120? Are they a Brand Name? Or, where did you get them?

Thanks, Stew
    I got those on E-bay a while back. I think the guys name was Badktownboy, but I'm not sure. Do a search under spike footers and it should come up. They are about $35.00 of a set of 4. Parts Express sells some that are similar also.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Mon May 06, 2013 4:26 pm

Spike footers?

KT 120 tubes installed (pic) $T2eC16RHJFoE9nh6nwm0BRHtboEs6!~~60_1

Kinky! Shocked
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Fri May 24, 2013 1:55 pm

I listened to the KT120 tubes for a couple of hours, and they sound great! The bass is really there, as is the highs. I have a good feeling that I'm going to enjoy this tube set up.
    I rolled a new set of KT-120s this morning into the ST-120. Have to say I am quite impressed with the sound. Excellent bass without overly bloating the mid-range. Highs are nice as well but not as much air and sparkle as Gold Lions but was looking to tame the highs a little in my system. The KT-120s seem to effortlessly provide power and are tonally convincing. I believe they are going to hang around for a while.
    Sprags

Post by Sprags Fri May 24, 2013 10:46 pm

Those KT-120 and rectifier tubes look awesome! I'm going to invest in a set like that when its maybe time to start rolling. Why is there a black spot on the glass of the left front tube? Hope that's just a reflection.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sat May 25, 2013 12:50 am

That's the burn off from the side getter ... There's one on the other side too.

I also have the KT-120's and a large bottle rectifier for my ST-120. I'm doing a custom chassis and am thinking about spinning the sockets 90 degrees to put those spots to the sides. Just have to be real careful wiring things up to keep track of the shift.

Truth be told, I don't believe it's all that noticeable when the tubes are lit, but haven't got that far yet, so can't speak from personal experience.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:26 pm