The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
baddog1946
sKiZo
deepee99
7 posters

Looks like the KT-150s have come out to play

sailor

Looks like the KT-150s have come out to play - Page 2 Empty Re: Looks like the KT-150s have come out to play

Post by sailor Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:20 pm

The KT120 by Psvane is there HI-FI level tube or basically a standard tube. It is relabeled to there name and tested only at the factory. IE: Not made or tested by them. Still not a bad price.
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Looks like the KT-150s have come out to play - Page 2 Empty Re: Looks like the KT-150s have come out to play

Post by arledgsc Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:02 pm

That makes sense as the Psvane KT-120s are very affordable.  I like the Shuguang variety of tubes but haven't had good luck with Ebay direct from Chinese buys of tubes.  So I learned the hard way to purchase from a reputable dealer with a lot of testing but at a higher cost.  But I do like the Psvane tubes as well as the high-end Shuguang.  The Psvanes 12AU7s are something else and even knocked the CBS Hytrons 5814As out of the phase inverter position in the ST-120.   I got an Email today (Oct 18, 2013) from Parts Connexion and they are currently running a good sale on Shuggy brands - Black Treasure, Natural Sound, TJ Full Music, and also their cousin Psvane.   Google "parts connexion" and look under new tubes...

But these Shuguang types take a long time to run in so you have to be patient.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Don't take me wrong ... the Psvane HiFi are pretty impressive, especially as they're billed as an "entry" level into their lineup. My KT88's are smooth as silk with a buttload of grunt. But, I got a matched quad of TungSol KT120's for around $200 shipped, so not much of a price difference. Still haven't had a chance to try those yet as I'm still ironing out a few bugs in the build ...

Then again, if the Psvane KT120's ARE just a TS re-badge ... why pay more if you don't have to?

Haven't seen anything about a Psvane KT150 yet ...
    deepee99
    deepee99

Looks like the KT-150s have come out to play - Page 2 Empty OR . . .

Post by deepee99 Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Tube Despot is running a sale on the E.A.T. KT-88s, Czech-made, for $1400 a quad. Anybody tried those?
    They come with a one-year warranty, so I guess you could leave them on all the time and they'd have 8,760 hours on 'em at the end of the year, swap out for a set of new ones?
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:12 pm

affraid 

Buy me a set and I'll try em ... clown 

Too rich for my blood ... $200 for a matched quad was a stretch for the miser in me ...

Actually, most expensive tube I got is a Mullard rectifier.

arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:15 pm

Skizo!  Today I tried a mix of the Psvane KT-88 and TS KT-120s on each bank.  The results were....

Looks like the KT-150s have come out to play - Page 2 2d7cdd96-395d-4201-8942-51a2906cb3da_zps63e33f5f

Not quite that dramatic but the sound changed a lot.   Lost most air on top and the low bass.  Soundstage shrunk.  Wasn't terrible but just average sounding.  Had to crank down the Bias controls on the KT-120 to about 10 o'clock match the Psvanes so watch for that.

Next, swapped out the Psvane KT-88s and put in the TS KT-120s all the way around.  Immediate struck by less air on top but something else going on with the bass.   Not as much deep bass maybe but clarity in the bass department.  Kick drums, tom-toms nice emphasis.   Less air but smooth and perhaps a little rolled off on the top end compared to Psvanes and even Gold Lion KT-88s.  Great tubes for someone looking to smooth out the top and get some more slam.  Vocals sound good but soundstage/reverb needs to develop.   I'm going to leave them in and get some run time... Give 'em a try!
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:53 pm

Knew I could talk somebody into trying it!

Looking at your pic, looks like you gained volume and got much fatter base on the right channel ... center stage looks comparatively weak, and some distortion at the bottom on the left. tongue 

Sounds like we got the same tubes to choose from, so your comments are much appreciated. I take it your KT-120's aren't broken in ... rumor has it they're slow starters but really bloom over time. I've also heard that they get a whole bunch sweeter if you crank the bias to around 60mA. Give that a try - KWard's been running his that way for the better part of a year with no issues, and Bob's taken his up to 75mA in an ST120. Plates are quite a bit bigger than a KT88, so no worries about heat or red plate.

That clean bottom would be a big plus for me, especially listening to jazz, and the deeper stuff is supposed to develop when the tubes get some hours on them. I've got a dbx BoomBox bass synth that can help them along in the meantime.

I do like the note on the top smooth and rolling off ... my square room tends to be overly bright anyway.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 1:46 pm