The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

ST-35 chassis mod query

ST-35 chassis mod query Empty ST-35 chassis mod query

Post by Guest Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:18 pm

Has anyone ever tried to make an original ST-35 chassis deeper? Other than having someone fabricate a new one, is there a simple way to increase the depth, maybe to 1 1/2" instead of the normal 3/4"?
    sailor

ST-35 chassis mod query Empty Re: ST-35 chassis mod query

Post by sailor Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Off the top of my head. You could go to Home depot and get angle aluminum to stiffen the edge of the base then use metal standoffs to space it. You would probably need to increase the number of screws for torsional support. One last item you could attach sheet metal to the side of the angle aluminum to make it look cleaner.
    Another way would be with wood. Get some really nice 1/2 or 3/4 x 2 inch stoke and make a box use some 3/4 inch square stock glued to the inside to fasten the original chassis in place.
    These are probably not a final product but it will give you some ideas to kick around.
    Just came up with the best idea. Home Depot may also have U shaped aluminum the thickness you need. If so all you would need to do is cut and attach it to the bottom all the way around then use standoffs to attach or enlarge the whole through the bottom and first layer of the U aluminum so a screw could be inserted and screwed down to the part where the U is in contact to the old chassis.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:43 pm

If all you're looking to do is increase the depth, I'd consider just building a wooden box that would fit below the stock chassis ... Maybe make it a bit bigger in all dimensions and add some decorative touch to the top to help it blend in. You could use the original holes for the bottom plate to attach it.

Come to think of it, the sides of the stock chassis are part of the bottom, so you'd want to make the sides of the box taller to fill the gaps there too. Either way, be a fairly simple project ...

So, like ... why? My excuse was being able to stuff larger chokes underneath, then as long as I was at it, hide the multi-cap, then volume controls ... and what can I say ... the whole thing got a bit out of control ...

ST-35 chassis mod query Installed-017

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm