The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
sKiZo
Maintarget
dougmon
7 posters

Identify this tube?

dougmon
    dougmon

Identify this tube? Empty Identify this tube?

Post by dougmon Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:31 am

This is the 5AR4/GZ34 that came with my stock ST-70. Can anyone identify it? The only markings on the tube are a large "Realistic Lifetime", "5AR4/GZ34", and "Japan". I realize that's not much to go by, but...any guesses?

I tried to put in an img tag, but that doesn't seem to work, so here's the image in my flickr feed:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/100379403@N06/11660476675/

and here's all the photos I took:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/100379403@N06/sets/72157639221032943/

Identify this tube? 11660476675

Last edited by dougmon on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:37 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : trying to insert photo)
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Identify this tube? Empty Re: Identify this tube?

Post by Maintarget Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:04 am

You pretty much have identified the tube What more do you need?
    I'm sure you can goggle and find a specification sheet for it.
    dougmon
    dougmon

Post by dougmon Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:08 am

Maintarget wrote:You pretty much have identified the tube What more do you need?
    I'm sure you can goggle and find a specification sheet for it.

I actually have googled for this, and I've found some info, but no specs. What I was hoping is that someone could identify a possible maker.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:43 am

I figure it had to be either Mazda or Matsushita, and Mazda has a brown base.

Here's the Matsushita version ...

Identify this tube? P1120510

Probably made on old Mullard tooling ... does it have the "lifetime warranty"?
    DynakitParts
    DynakitParts

Identify this tube? Empty Realistic Lifetime

Post by DynakitParts Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:08 am

Assuming this tube has the Lifetime warranty labeling...

Realistic (RadioShack) will still honor the warranty replacement of this tube if you believe it is defective, worn out, etc. They have no provisions to test tubes and most will not have any clue what this item is. A replacement will typically be a low cost China made 5AR4 tube provided by someone like Antique Electronics. The Japan marking as sKiZo states is most likely Matsushita or Mazda which are are both well made tubes and better than most new production 5AR4 rectifier tubes made today.

Happy New Years...

Kevin

dougmon
    dougmon

Post by dougmon Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:49 am

sKiZo, DynakitParts: thanks for the help.

I assume this tube has the 'lifetime warranty'. Now if only I could convince Radio Shack that it's a Mullard and has to be replaced with a Mullard!

I'm assuming now that this is a Matushita. I'm a little leery of actually using it in the VTA-70...but what's the worst that can happen? I do keep a stash of 3 amp slo-blo fuses for fun occasions like this...

I don't think the tube is bad, because up until recently I was using it in a stock ST-70. But I have no easy way to test it at present.

thanks again!
    Jim McShane

Post by Jim McShane Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:32 am

Doug,

Japanese 5AR4/GZ34 tubes are terrific!! Their post-WW II tube production was rebuilt by Mullard/Philips, so the quality was quite high. That's a FINE rectifier you have there!! Get it tested if you aren't sure of it, it looks to be in great shape. Don't try to get a new tube from Rat Shack unless it tests bad - you'll never get one as good quality.
    dougmon
    dougmon

Post by dougmon Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:43 am

Jim McShane wrote:Doug,

Japanese 5AR4/GZ34 tubes are terrific!! Their post-WW II tube production was rebuilt by Mullard/Philips, so the quality was quite high. That's a FINE rectifier you have there!! Get it tested if you aren't sure of it, it looks to be in great shape. Don't try to get a new tube from Rat Shack unless it tests bad - you'll never get one as good quality.

Thanks! I was worried about it for a couple of reasons. First, the old Dynaco used to "pop" pretty loudly when I turned it off; but that's not necessarily the rectifier. Second, most of the flashing was black -- but further reading convinces me that that is not necessarily a negative thing. I'll probably give this tube a shot. Heck, I have safety glasses....  Smile 
    baddog1946
    baddog1946

Post by baddog1946 Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:28 pm

I have an original looking ST70 with a complete set of "Raytheon"(made in Japan) EL34's and rectifier with the same printed font, color and words on all of them.
    Except for the "Realistic Lifetime" it looks exactly like the one you have there.
    Although "Raytheon" is etched on the glass of the EL34's this tube looks like part of a set on mine.
    Looks like both tubes could have been made by the same manufacturer and possibly sold under different labels. Raytheon????......baddog
    dougmon
    dougmon

Post by dougmon Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:35 pm

baddog1946 wrote:I have an original looking ST70 with a complete set of "Raytheon"(made in Japan) EL34's and rectifier with  the same printed font, color and words on all of them.
    Except for the "Realistic Lifetime" it looks exactly like the one you have there.
    Although "Raytheon" is etched on the glass of the EL34's this tube looks like part of a set on mine.
    Looks like both tubes could have been made by the same manufacturer and possibly sold under different labels. Raytheon????......baddog

Entirely possible, though intense internet searches have led me to believe that mine is a Matsushita. But what with rebranding, etc., it's also possible that your Raytheon is re-labelled Matsushita. Or that mine is a Raytheon. Or that they're both some other factory, and we'll just never know.

I did give this tube a try in my VTA-70, and it works fine. There _is_ a small 'pop' when I turn off the amp, but that was there with the Sovtek rectifier too, and I don't think it's worth worrying about.

At any rate, this whole thread and my experience with the old tube has given me the idea that it might be a good idea to start saving for an NOS Mullard...just to have one. Of course, if this rectifier lasts a lifetime, that might not be necessary Smile
    Donkeyshins
    Donkeyshins

Post by Donkeyshins Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:53 pm

Jim McShane wrote:Doug,

I totally agree. I've got a flat-top Toshiba 5AR4 that is as good and rugged as the Mullard 5AR4 that came with my Stereo 70 and tests beautifully. I've been saving it for something special.

-D
    dougmon
    dougmon

Post by dougmon Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:37 pm

Just one last thing -- thanks for all the helpful responses, and Happy New Year!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:42 pm