The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Please help me identify this PAS board!

neatokino

Please help me identify this PAS board! Empty Please help me identify this PAS board!

Post by neatokino Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:46 pm

Hello--  I pulled a mostly rebuilt Dynaco PAS (2 or 3, not sure) out of my storage closet.  It's been many years since I replaced/upgraded the PC Boards, and it sorta/kinda still works: there is some hum, and I can't get anything out of the phono board, but I'm pretty sure those things are fixable by me.  

The power supply board is from Curcio, and so is the phono board, but the PC-5 replacement is a mystery to me, even though I bought the thing and installed it myself.  It is labeled:  'PAS-4 FOR THE PAS-3 PAS-5' and says 'optimized by P. Waters'.  I have pics but can't figure out how to attach them here.

Can anyone help me identify this PAS-5 board and help me find a schematic or instructions so I can get it to work properly with the Curcio boards?  Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.  I'd love to get this thing up and working perfectly.

Thanks in advance!

Please help me identify this PAS board! IMG_2457
    Please help me identify this PAS board! IMG_2455

Last edited by neatokino on Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : trying to make links to photos work)
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Please help me identify this PAS board! Empty Re: Please help me identify this PAS board!

Post by Roy Mottram Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:11 pm

the PAS4 for the PAS3 board was made by C Epperson, I don't think that's a current product anymore,
    here is his contact info . . . . https://dynacodesigns.com/contact/
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Please help me identify this PAS board! Empty Re: Please help me identify this PAS board!

Post by Dave_in_Va Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:38 pm

neatokino

Post by neatokino Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:12 pm

Thank you both! I may not be able to post pics until I've been a member of the forum for a week. In any case, I will track down the history of this PAS board through Dynacodesigns and see if they have a schematic. Does anyone know if this particular replacement board was good?
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:15 pm

schematic is same as the PAS4 line stage
    neatokino

Post by neatokino Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:06 pm

Great and thank again!  I'll contact Epperson and see if there is a manual that identifies the various in and outs on the board.  Mine is working, tho I have to track down the hum, but since I'm getting nothing from the phono board, I figure it's either improperly connected to the line board, or the selector switch is wired incorrectly, or I did not fully and properly connect the Curcio power supply board.  My memory is that I had the preamp working before a final round of upgrades and never completely finished the task.  I'd love to get this up and running at its full potential.  

No reason to think that the PAS4 linestage, Curcio power supply upgrage, and Curcio phono board wouldn't make for a pretty nice preamp, right?  Smile

Am open to any suggestions on how to improve further!
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:18 pm

neatokino wrote:Great and thank again!  I'll contact Epperson and see if there is a manual that identifies the various in and outs on the board.  Mine is working, tho I have to track down the hum, but since I'm getting nothing from the phono board, I figure it's either improperly connected to the line board, or the selector switch is wired incorrectly, or I did not fully and properly connect the Curcio power supply board.  My memory is that I had the preamp working before a final round of upgrades and never completely finished the task.  I'd love to get this up and running at its full potential.  

No reason to think that the PAS4 linestage, Curcio power supply upgrage, and Curcio phono board wouldn't make for a pretty nice preamp, right?  :)

Am open to any suggestions on how to improve further!
    PAS4 had no tone controls. It did however have a loop output, enabling an external
    tone control unit to be connected and looped through. A very nice solution that lacks
    implementation as far as i know.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:38 am