The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

st-70 problem - 2 of 3 preamp tubes won't glow

slowhandsonfire

st-70 problem - 2 of 3 preamp tubes won't glow Empty st-70 problem - 2 of 3 preamp tubes won't glow

Post by slowhandsonfire Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:32 pm

I recently moved into another house, and somehow in the process of transporting my ST-70 I damaged something. When I fire up the amp, I get no sound. Only the left preamp tube will glow; the center and right ones stay cold. I know it's not a tube issue because I tried all 3 tubes in every preamp tube slot and the only the left one got hot every time.

Any ideas what could be wrong?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

st-70 problem - 2 of 3 preamp tubes won't glow Empty Re: st-70 problem - 2 of 3 preamp tubes won't glow

Post by Bob Latino Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:37 pm

One or both of the two wires that go from pins 2 and 7 on V6 to the driver board have become loose on either the driver board FIL eyelets OR pins 2 and 7 on V6. Even if they look like they are still connected > resolder those connections ..

If you also get no sound on the left channel, it is possible that the rectifier tube got shook around during your move and the rectifier tube is now bad. I have said this before on the forum here > Just because a rectifier tube lights up, it does not mean that the rectifier tube is GOOD. If you get no DC voltage from pin 8 of the rectifier tube socket to chassis ground, your rectifier is bad.

Bob

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:13 am