The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Dynaco speakers

Dynaco speakers Empty Dynaco speakers

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:18 pm

I see quite a few Dynaco speakers for sale on various sites and am just wondering if they are any good, if yes, any particular models that stand out, do any members here own or have owned a set.
    j beede
    j beede

Dynaco speakers Empty Re: Dynaco speakers

Post by j beede Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:48 pm

I enjoyed my A-25, remarkable sound for a 45 year old speaker. The grilles are glued on--that is not a feature. I found them to be lacking in near field applications but very pleasant with a listening distance of 10' or more.
    stewdan

Post by stewdan Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:51 pm

Hi -- I have a pair of the original Dynaco A25's and they are a well made and good sounding speaker.  The Woofer Surround is a butyl rubber and not foam, so in theory, they don't have to be replaced.

In all honesty though, I prefer the sound of my original Advents (or the slightly newer Advent A3 or A4) to the Dynaco A25's .... Just one man's opinion.

For your info, someone on the Forum (back in 2013, I think) posted about a modern Clone of the Dynaco A25.

Have fun!

Post by Guest Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:37 am

thanks for the input. I was really just wondering out loud, there are quite a few out there by the looks of things.
    As I am upgrading my system, I will probably end up building my own speakers, but thats quite a bit down the track for now.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:26 pm

MontanaWay wrote:thanks for the input. I was really just wondering out loud, there are quite a few out there by the looks of things.
    As I am upgrading my system, I will probably end up building my own speakers, but thats quite a bit down the track for now.

I have had great luck with A-25s and now a pair of A-35s using them in my sand system in the den. Be prepared to spend almost $100 to ship a pair.
    daveshel
    daveshel

Post by daveshel Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:25 pm

And I'm loving deepee99's former A-25a. Thanks,d!
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:31 pm

daveshel wrote:And I'm loving deepee99's former A-25a. Thanks,d!

Dave, glad to hear that. Again, I would suggest to anyone contemplating the antique Dynaco speaks that they will benefit greatly from a little EQ: an old Audio Control 520 5-bander on any of the auction sites for <$75.00 works well with them.

Cheerio
    Dave

Post by Guest Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:59 pm

deepee99 wrote:
    daveshel wrote:And I'm loving deepee99's former A-25a. Thanks,d!

Dave, glad to hear that. Again, I would suggest to anyone contemplating the antique Dynaco speaks that they will benefit greatly from a little EQ: an old Audio Control 520 5-bander on any of the auction sites for <$75.00 works well with them.

Cheerio
    Dave

or my up and coming stereo 'Blonder-Tongue' EQ :-)
    pmarcin
    pmarcin

Post by pmarcin Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:44 pm

mmm

Last edited by pmarcin on Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : redundant)
    pmarcin
    pmarcin

Post by pmarcin Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:46 pm

I have a pair of the original Dynaco A25's and they are a well made and good sounding speaker. The Woofer Surround is a butyl rubber and not foam, so in theory, they don't have to be replaced. In all honesty though, I prefer the sound of my original Advents (or the slightly newer Advent A3 or A4) to the Dynaco A25's .... Just one man's opinion. wrote:

This was my experience exactly in the '70s. I also had the aperiodic KLH 33s. In recent years, I bought a Chinese clone A-25 with clone drivers. They  weren't up to current offerings.

Super upgrade for3 big bucks:A-26

Last edited by pmarcin on Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:53 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : errors)
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:19 pm

pmarcin wrote:

This was my experience exactly in the '70s. I also had the aperiodic KLH 33s. In recent years, I bought a Chinese clone A-25 with clone drivers. They  weren't up to current offerings.

Super upgrade for3 big bucks:A-26

Four big ones if you buy the cabinets and upgrade the caps!
    FWIW, I mounted my A-25s (now -35s) on dampened brackets above the desk and on a whim one day turned 'em upside-down. They sound a lot better up close now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:25 am