The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+4
Bob Latino
WLT
Peter W.
FearOfMusic
8 posters

Dynaco A-25 speakers.

FearOfMusic

Dynaco A-25 speakers.  Empty Dynaco A-25 speakers.

Post by FearOfMusic Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:24 am

I just scored a pair of Dynaco A-25’s at an estate sale for $25. They need some love cosmetically but sound great. The drivers are in amazing condition for their age. Eventually they will end up in my bedroom system. Just thought I would share with you guys.
    Dynaco A-25 speakers.  772b8c10
    Dynaco A-25 speakers.  2f1dbc10
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Dynaco A-25 speakers.  Empty Re: Dynaco A-25 speakers.

Post by Peter W. Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:56 am

Very nice!

I keep a pair of Dynaco speakers as well.

It may be a good idea to replace the capacitor and clean the switch in the crossover - especially if you have any intermittent positions and/or poor tweeter performance.

https://www.updatemydynaco.com/A25LoudSpeaker.html

Back in the day, these were sold at about the same price-point as the AR-4X, leaving the A10 as Dynaco's entry level speaker, and undercutting AR.
    WLT
    WLT

Post by WLT Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:55 pm

I have had both the Dyna A25 and the AR 4X. I felt the A25s were much better. When you get them for $25 they sound even better!! The work Peter W recommends will give them long term reliability and the best sound. Maybe a new grill cloth and you have a nice low cost set of good looking speakers.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:39 am

WLT wrote:I have had both the Dyna A25 and the AR 4X. I felt the A25s were much better. When you get them for $25 they sound even better!! The work Peter W recommends will give them long term reliability and the best sound. Maybe a new grill cloth and you have a nice low cost set of good looking speakers.

I won't disagree - I have my pair stacked on the AR pair. They are different, certainly.

On the grille cloth: Before scrapping what you have - and if that is the alternative - first try 4:1 hot water to bleach with about 2-4 drops of dish soap in about a pint of water. Take off the grill and put it cloth-side up on an old towel or similar and apply the solution with a soft paintbrush. Let it sit for an hour or so, repeat. Try not to saturate the Masonite frame so it does not warp.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:43 am

If anyone has a pair of Dynaco A-25 speakers and needs a replacement part OR wants to build their own (new version) of the Dynaco A-25, check out this forum link from about 6 years ago. Madisound has a "kit" to build your own Dynaco A-25 speakers. It's not cheap but when set up right, these are still very nice speakers. Probably the most popular speaker ever built.

April 2013 Forum post on the Dynaco A-25 speaker kits

Bob
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:09 am

Bob Latino wrote:If anyone has a pair of Dynaco A-25 speakers and needs a replacement part OR wants to build their own (new version) of the Dynaco A-25, check out this forum link from about 6 years ago. Madisound has a "kit" to build your own Dynaco A-25 speakers. It's not cheap but when set up right, these are still very nice speakers. Probably the most popular speaker ever built.

Bob

From what I could find, something in the neighborhood of 350,000 AR 4X speakers were sold. Something in the neighborhood of 600,000 A25 speakers were sold (worldwide for both).
    vtshopdog
    vtshopdog

Post by vtshopdog Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:14 pm

Bob Latino wrote:If anyone has a pair of Dynaco A-25 speakers and needs a replacement part OR wants to build their own (new version) of the Dynaco A-25, check out this forum link from about 6 years ago. Madisound has a "kit" to build your own Dynaco A-25 speakers. It's not cheap but when set up right, these are still very nice speakers. Probably the most popular speaker ever built.

Bob

Also, below application notes link from Seas regarding the "clone A26" kit on Madisound.  The drivers used in kit are $$$$$$

http://www.madisound.com/pdf/SEAS_A26_AppNote.pdf

The Seas document claims “over 1 million units sold”
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:04 pm

The "Sleeping Beauty" of the Dynaco speaks is the A-35, IMHO. Same drivers as the 25s, just a little larger and internally vented cabinet. Dunno how they did it, but they'll hold their mud against any <$1,000 speaker on today's market. If you ever come across a pair with un-fried original drivers,  snag 'em no matter how ugly. Everything else (cabinet finish, two-part xover etc.) can be made like new.
    10-E-C
    10-E-C

Post by 10-E-C Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:49 am

I know where a pair of A-25s are. NOS in the box, I've been debating if I can talk my friend out of them.
    martin

Post by martin Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:54 pm

You have a later pair of A25s which contain American drivers like those found in the A25VW, and not the usual and most common Seas drivers. To my ears, they are indistinguishable from the Seas A25s. Unlike similar vintage AR or KLH products, they are unlikely to need capacitor replacement or switch cleaning. Enjoy them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:09 am