The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

What board and version?

hrudu90

What board and version? Empty What board and version?

Post by hrudu90 Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:06 pm

I finally open up my new to me VTA ST-70:

What board and version? DSC02218_zpsclfwpgzp

I am wondering what version do I have?

What board and version? DSC02219_zpseo97udhp
    And what are the blue pots for?

Thanks

~~~

What board and version? Empty Re: What board and version?

Post by Guest Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:04 am

This looks like an earlier version of the VTA pcb, perhaps the low gain version? Not too sure what those two trimmers do on that version, I think they adjust the constant current source, as the later version VTA circuits use the LM334 for the CCS.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:31 am

Your VTA ST-70 amp is a fairly early version built in 2007-2008. The reason I can tell is that you have Micanol (mustard colored) sockets which eventually became unavailable so I switched to Celanex (black) sockets. You also have yellow backing boards for the input jacks and output binding posts. The newer backing boards are black in color. Your amp also has a C-354 choke (200 milliamp rated). I switched to the C24-X chokes because they are 240 milliamp rated. Also - in later amps the Russian PIO cap leads have a black tubing covering the leads because they could short to the body of the cap which is metal and is conductive.

Those two blue trimmers on the BOTTOM of the driver board set the phase splitter part of the driver circuit. Once set you just leave them alone and do not touch them. The reason they are put on the bottom is that you will not have easy access to them and try to readjust them. They are set at the proper place when you build the board. As MontanaWay has mentioned the newer ST-70/ST-120 boards have CCS - a constant current source for the phase splitter part of the driver circuit - SO - no 10K AC balance control is needed.

Bob
    hrudu90

Post by hrudu90 Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:57 pm

Thank you Bob!
    Which resistors would you recommend metal or carbon?
    I would like to convert it to a low gain version.

BTW, all I need to do is to replace some 12 resistors?
    Please see pic.

photo Standardandlowergainboards_zpsco11nih0.jpg
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:10 pm

yes, you only need to replace the parts with the X next to them. Metal films are usually better, but carbon films have a mellower laid back sound

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 am