The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+6
zx
deepee99
corndog71
nerpissad
pedrocols
Kentley
10 posters

latest edition of my version of the ST120

latest edition of my version of the ST120 Empty latest edition of my version of the ST120

Post by Guest Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:07 pm

here is my latest version of the ST120, and hopefully, if I can keep my fingers off it.. Wink ....lasting version...for now! Smile
    This amp uses an 'all in one' pcb, driver tubes, rectifiers and power tubes all on one large pcb, with a separate power supply cap pcb.
    Sounds awesome, as is expected from the ST120.
    Driver tubes are NOS 6SN7's, rectifiers are 2x Compactron 6CG3 single diode tubes and power tubes are the KT120...of course!

photo FDMKIV-F 4_zpspnuqfekl.jpg

photo FDMKIV-F 3_zpsbasxu9wk.jpg

photo FDMKIV-F 5_zpsxcyznhbm.jpg
    Kentley
    Kentley

latest edition of my version of the ST120 Empty Re: latest edition of my version of the ST120

Post by Kentley Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:46 pm

Well, that is ELEGANT. I want it.
    What are the chassis dimensions?

latest edition of my version of the ST120 Empty Re: latest edition of my version of the ST120

Post by Guest Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:00 pm

Kentley wrote:Well, that is ELEGANT. I want it.
    What are the chassis dimensions?

thank you. Yeah, I think I finally got the layout right! Chassis is 15 1/8"w x 11 7/8" deep
    pedrocols
    pedrocols

Post by pedrocols Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:16 pm

I like it!
    nerpissad
    nerpissad

Post by nerpissad Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:51 am

Great work, MontanaWay
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:21 am

Looks great! Very elegant. FYI, I've read that power tubes mounted to pcbs can be problematic in the long run.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:01 pm

That's flat effin gorgeous.
    zx

Post by zx Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:10 pm

Thanks for the pic..............Vary Nice...........How much for the 2H Choke?....

thanks for the site Bob.................

Post by Guest Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:36 pm

corndog71 wrote:Looks great!  Very elegant.  FYI, I've read that power tubes mounted to pcbs can be problematic in the long run.  

yes, I'm pretty sure I got that covered. Vent holes under the tube sockets, extra wide pcb tracks and double thickness pcb

Post by Guest Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:37 pm

zx wrote:Thanks for the pic..............Vary Nice...........How much for the 2H Choke?....

thanks for the site Bob.................

can't remember the choke price, go to Edcor's web site, it'll be there
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:47 pm

MontanaWay wrote:
    corndog71 wrote:Looks great!  Very elegant.  FYI, I've read that power tubes mounted to pcbs can be problematic in the long run.  

yes, I'm pretty sure I got that covered. Vent holes under the tube sockets, extra wide pcb tracks and double thickness pcb
    If you notice Holger's PCBs, there are tube sockets all the way around.
    There are some PCBs (not his) that you solder tubes directly in to, thus facilitating heat transfer to the boards and concomitant problems. This would not be an issue, IMHO, with discreet sockets. Plenty of heat-sinking there to go around, as the heat dissipates thru the socket rather than onto the board.

Post by Guest Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:54 pm

deepee99 wrote:
    MontanaWay wrote:

If you notice Holger's PCBs, there are tube sockets all the way around.
    There are some PCBs (not his) that you solder tubes directly in to, thus facilitating heat transfer to the boards and concomitant problems. This would not be an issue, IMHO, with discreet sockets. Plenty of heat-sinking there to go around, as the heat dissipates thru the socket rather than onto the board.

not to mention heat rises..... Very Happy......but I guess time will tell, but I did read up on that issue with older pcb designs and what can be done to overcome heat stress on the pcb, and made sure I've done everything to alleviate such issues down the track.....
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:59 pm

Yes, I have noted that heat rises in my home, and it's not always due to the electronics. Just forget to haul out the trash.
    TPW

Post by TPW Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:47 pm

Killer! Great job
    tomlang

Post by tomlang Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:57 am

I cannot applaud this enough!  Having just learned DesignSpark PCB to create my own PCB's I know how much work is involved.  What design software did you use?

And is the Cap Board your design also?

Bravo!

Post by Guest Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:07 am

tomlang wrote:I cannot applaud this enough!  Having just learned DesignSpark PCB to create my own PCB's I know how much work is involved.  What design software did you use?

And is the Cap Board your design also?

Bravo!

thank you!
    I use Copper Connection, it is simple yet very powerful, and allows me to import non Gerber files and convert them to Gerber!
    Yes, the cap pcb power supply is also my own design.
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:17 pm

Holger, that's a thing of beauty!
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:31 pm

Tube Nube wrote:Holger, that's a thing of beauty!

You ought to see what two of them look like (M-125s/Big Boppers), side by each . . .
    "Cabin crew, secure the aircraft for take-off."
    bluemeanies
    bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:51 pm

Really sweet looking with the VU meters.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 pm