The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

cooler running power transformer with change in driver tubes ?

tajanes
    tajanes

cooler running power transformer with change in driver tubes ? Empty cooler running power transformer with change in driver tubes ?

Post by tajanes Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:53 pm

I early on had switched out my tube rectifier for a Weber WZ34, but most recently put in RCA 12AU7A’s (the two outside tubes on the driver board) replacing Northern Electric 12AU7’s I had for each of the 3 driver board tubes, and it seems that my power transformer (ST-120 amp) is running cooler (probably fairer to say not running quite as HOT). While I expected to mod the sound a bit, question: but these are the same family of tubes (12AU7A) I didn’t expect impact on power transformer- is there something to this ?

Thanks
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

cooler running power transformer with change in driver tubes ? Empty Re: cooler running power transformer with change in driver tubes ?

Post by Maintarget Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:00 pm

You should check your bias after changing the rectifier tube.
    tajanes
    tajanes

cooler running power transformer with change in driver tubes ? Empty Re: cooler running power transformer with change in driver tubes ?

Post by tajanes Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:06 pm

sorry to confuse with the rectifier change - yes I did re bias after the change (this was mentioned as a fyi as I have read this also helps the power transformer run a bit cooler as drawing less power)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:26 pm