The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

First post, PAS 3 grounding question...

hogzilla

First post, PAS 3 grounding question... Empty First post, PAS 3 grounding question...

Post by hogzilla Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:29 am

This is a complete noob question, but here goes… I am rebuilding a PAS 3 starting with the Tube Nirvana I/O board and 6 position switch and will be doing the Z-Mod boards. I have all my wires twisted and ready to go but one hold up. Where does the ground go? I’ve seen reference of running it to either the 12X4 ground or the quad cap ground, but I see the ground wires wound with the signal wires from the I/O board, but they don’t look to be ground to anything near the switch. Could someone shed light on what is going on with this setup? Are the twisted wires simply for shielding with an actual ground wire running from the I/O board to the chassis ground? Does anyone have a good detailed photo of what is going on here?

Thanks in advance! There is a lot of great info on here!

First post, PAS 3 grounding question... Empty Re: First post, PAS 3 grounding question...

Post by Guest Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:34 pm

this has been taken care of, I have communicated directly with hogzilla.
    GreggW
    GreggW

First post, PAS 3 grounding question... Empty Re: First post, PAS 3 grounding question...

Post by GreggW Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:37 pm

Nice, I offered to send him pix..
    hogzilla

Post by hogzilla Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:53 pm

Thanks a lot gentlemen! I appreciate the help MontanaWay. This has me in order now. I'll keep y'all posted as I go. I'm taking photos as I make my way through this.
    lagunamike

First post, PAS 3 grounding question... Empty Copy of the reply please

Post by lagunamike Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:52 pm

Would like to see MontanaWay's reply to hogzilla.  Am finishing up my ZMods on an unbuilt PAS3 kit and wiring from scratch. I was planning on floating the power and signal grounds from chassis, but this info might help me make that choice.
    hogzilla

Post by hogzilla Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:08 pm

lagunamike wrote:Would like to see MontanaWay's reply to hogzilla.  Am finishing up my ZMods on an unbuilt PAS3 kit and wiring from scratch. I was planning on floating the power and signal grounds from chassis, but this info might help me make that choice.

Here's the email response he sent. It helped clarify what I was confused about...

"With all the wiring from the RCA I-O pcb to the selector switch, you only ground ONE end, the RCA I-O pcb end. At the other end, the selector switch end, you push the ground wire back a little and/or curl it around the signal wire, then only solder the signal wire to the rotary switch. This way, the wire is still shielded being connected at the I-O pcb end, hope this makes sense."
    lagunamike

First post, PAS 3 grounding question... Empty Grounding scheme solved

Post by lagunamike Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:39 pm

Thanks hogzilla. MontanaWay got me squared away. I was familiar with the wiring of the selector switch, but confused with the instuctions in the ZMod that said to 'float' the ground. You still make chassis the ground for the B+ AND AC Gnd. Star configuration is strictly followed.
    GreggW
    GreggW

Post by GreggW Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:35 pm

I, too, got some great advice and help from MontanaWay for my PAS3 basket case project. It works so well that I don't think another preamp is needed. Well, not yet....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:40 am