The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Newbie with questions

timsst70

Newbie with questions Empty Newbie with questions

Post by timsst70 Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:20 pm

Hi All,

I'm updating a unit that was stock. Have changed out selenium rectifier, 50 MFD caps and changed resistors to trim bias properly. Next step is to replace Quad cap, no motivation other than I have the part, it came with a small schematic that shows a 2.2K resistor and other connections, no mention of the 6800 ohm resistor in existing circuit, I don't know what to do?

Tim
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Newbie with questions Empty Re: Newbie with questions

Post by Bob Latino Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:46 pm

Newbie with questions VTAQuadcapsetup

If you are using the VTA driver board, then you do not need the 6800 and the 22,000 ohm resistors on the quad cap. Just wire the quad cap as seen in the photo above with a jumper wire between the second and third sections of the quad cap and the 2200 ohm resistor between the third and fourth sections.

Bob
    timsst70

Post by timsst70 Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:33 pm

Hi Bob,
    Thanks, not upgrading to the VTA driver board yet, still stock board, so, I'll follow your drawing.

Tim
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:15 pm

timsst70 wrote:Hi Bob,
    Thanks, not upgrading to the VTA driver board yet,  still stock board,  so, I'll follow your drawing.

Tim

Tim,

If you have the stock board then you must use the 22,000 ohm and the 6800 ohm resistors on the quad cap. Disregard the diagram at my post above. That 2200 ohm resistor is to be used only if you are using a VTA driver board in place of the stock board.

Bob

Post by Guest Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    timsst70

Post by timsst70 Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:50 pm

Ok, I understand now and I have the original manual and circuit diagrams.

Thanks
    timsst70

Post by timsst70 Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:04 pm

Hi,

Is there any benefit to replace the Quad cap if I'm not having any issues with the amp as is? I take it that the 80,40,30,20 cap can replace the original according the to original circuit diagram. Thanks in advance for advice.

Tim

Post by Guest Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:19 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    j beede
    j beede

Post by j beede Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:52 pm

How do you know whether or not your amp is exhibiting issues related to the quad cap? E.g. if you had to re-center the bias divider to achieve proper bias this can indicate a failed segment in your quad cap. What do you hope to achieve by increasing the capacitive load on your rectifier and choke?

Keep in mind that basic capacitance ranges on a DVM measure at low voltage. A "good" cap at low voltage may measure otherwise at high voltage.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 3:00 am