The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+18
wgallupe
Tom
sKiZo
GP49
Dogstar
tubenutr
hansfob
Zimmer64
mantha3
j4570
corndog71
pmarcin
GreggW
Dale Stevens
peterh
Tube Nube
Kentley
deepee99
22 posters

What's an OCD to do now?

sKiZo
    sKiZo

What's an OCD to do now? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's an OCD to do now?

Post by sKiZo Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:08 pm

You want OCD? I got yer OCD!  clown

+1 on the DAC, and +1 on the Maverick as well.

I notice you mention having several hundred albums ... put together a nice digital server, add an ADC, and rip your vinyl to digital. That'll certainly kill some time. Been there, done that, and I still spin the records, but it's nice to be able to just click a mouse when I'm feeling lazy. With a good DAC, you're really not losing any SQ if you're using quality digital rips.

Big fan of the Maverick TubeMagic here. I'm using their D1+ which also has analog in - something they dropped with the D2 - but I like to get some of that tooby magic on the turntable too. The D1+ acts as a tube buffer as well, allowing me to tailor the sound of the Latino. That opens up a lot of combinations that would be otherwise lacking something. Fer example ... current tube set in the ST120 is a Sylvania 12BH7 center, with Sylvania 5814's in the channels. These would be a bit too dark for my tastes, but swapping a Tesla 6CC42 into the DAC livens it right up ... a match made in heaven!

Good timing ... I'm currently putting together a late winter project to improve the DAC ...

- Install a Burson v5 discrete op amp, guaranteed to run rings around the current set.
    - Swap in a Sparkos regulator to lower the noise floor
    - Upgrade the primary couplers (Elna Silmic II)
    - Install a dedicated USB channel (Paul Pang) in the HTPC to clean up the other end of the signal chain. That will be driven by an Acopian dedicated 5v power supply. The card itself is super low noise and tightly clocked, and the only equipment attached to that will be the DAC and ADC. This should completely eliminate any crosstalk or chatter from competing USB devices.
    - Upgrade the USB interconnect (Pangea)
    - Recap the power supply.

By the time this is done, I'll have doubled my original investment in the DAC, but still figure to be ahead of the game, as even stock, the Maverick outshines a lot of much more expensive options.

(I AM the KING of OCD!! )    king
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:24 pm

sKiZo wrote:You want OCD? I got yer OCD!  clown

+1 on the DAC, and +1 on the Maverick as well.

I notice you mention having several hundred albums ... put together a nice digital server, add an ADC, and rip your vinyl to digital. That'll certainly kill some time. Been there, done that, and I still spin the records, but it's nice to be able to just click a mouse when I'm feeling lazy. With a good DAC, you're really not losing any SQ if you're using quality digital rips.

Big fan of the Maverick TubeMagic here. I'm using their D1+ which also has analog in - something they dropped with the D2 - but I like to get some of that tooby magic on the turntable too. The D1+ acts as a tube buffer as well, allowing me to tailor the sound of the Latino. That opens up a lot of combinations that would be otherwise lacking something. Fer example ... current tube set in the ST120 is a Sylvania 12BH7 center, with Sylvania 5814's in the channels. These would be a bit too dark for my tastes, but swapping a Tesla 6CC42 into the DAC livens it right up ... a match made in heaven!

Good timing ... I'm currently putting together a late winter project to improve the DAC ...

- Install a Burson v5 discrete op amp, guaranteed to run rings around the current set.
    - Swap in a Sparkos regulator to lower the noise floor
    - Upgrade the primary couplers (Elna Silmic II)
    - Install a dedicated USB channel (Paul Pang) in the HTPC to clean up the other end of the signal chain. That will be driven by an Acopian dedicated 5v power supply. The card itself is super low noise and tightly clocked, and the only equipment attached to that will be the DAC and ADC. This should completely eliminate any crosstalk or chatter from competing USB devices.
    - Upgrade the USB interconnect (Pangea)
    - Recap the power supply.

By the time this is done, I'll have doubled my original investment in the DAC, but still figure to be ahead of the game, as even stock, the Maverick outshines a lot of much more expensive options.

(I AM the KING of OCD!! )    king
    Sounds like the start of a plan. I've got an Emotiva DAC and quite like it; XLR outs for the preamp, too.
    What type server we talking about? Any old Windows/Mac Linux PC work?
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:40 pm

Any FAST computer ... with fast memory. You do need to keep any buffering to a minimum.

My current build is a fairly current generation ITX motherboard using a 60 watt APU chipset with integrated sound and video. Less load = less heat = less fans = less noise. I went from six case fans howling away on the old build to just the "smart" fans on the chip and power supply. Those barely tick over, keeping the box ultra quiet. I can just barely hear it holding my ear right to the case. Especially important using the dbx expander, as any noise is extremely noticeable.

I'm also using a full size ATX case for more air and better heat dissipation, once again, all about keeping the fan noise down. Video rated hard drives as well - those are fast and quiet.  

Fun fact - an ITX board will mount right up in an ATX case, leaving acres of free space. The little black box lower left is a 256 gb solid state drive, completely silent and loaded up with all the programs. There's also two 2 gig drives hiding in there as well, set aside for the music.

What's an OCD to do now? - Page 2 Htpc-gigabyte-001

You can also see the ONE expansion slot, which is all I need for the Paul Pang USB card. That's currently hosting a generic USB expansion card with just the DAC and ADC plugged in. Worth keeping in mind, the PP USB card is quite wide, taking up a couple slots, but there's plenty of room to the side.

What's an OCD to do now? - Page 2 PICT9433

As mentioned earlier, that's all about minimizing competition and interference from other USB devices. I do know that even the generic card made a BIG difference in digital noise and jitter.

The larger case is what will allow me to mount the USB power supply inside, and it fits right in with the rest of the audio gear. Also good to use a heavy duty case to minimize any resonance or sonics ... every little bit helps. This old Bach Media case weighs like a dead horse with a whole lot of internal bracing.

What's an OCD to do now? - Page 2 Htpc

Oh. Don't forget the front end software. I really really like jRiver's Media Center. If MC can't do it, it don't need to be done. Bit of a learning curve for the advanced features, but basically plug 'n play if all you want to do is roll some jams ...
    Tom

Post by Tom Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:07 am

OCD OCD OCD

I'm so tired of it.

The letters,

in correct order,

are CDO.

Please make a note of it.

Smile

oh, and I went the make your own music route
    guitar amps are way fun
    Smile
    hansfob
    hansfob

Post by hansfob Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:57 am

Guitar Amps are way fun. They break all the rules to make an Audiophile cringe. But Hey, that's Rock and Roll. I'm going for the Sunn 200s / Dynaco MK3 design for a very clean sound in order to gently break my OCD tenancies and work from there.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:14 am

I wish I played so I could justify building one of these.

http://bottlehead.com/?product=tode-guitar-amplifier-kit

sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:43 pm

Tom wrote:OCD, OCD, OCD.

I'm so tired of it. The letters, in correct order, are CDO.

Only if you're lysdectic ...

(I took the liberty of correcting your punctuation. I hope this doesn't initiate any aggressive thoughts towards others or self, or result in any forbidden or taboo thoughts involving sex or religion.)

I believe my current mild case of OCD is more a result of cabin fever. A week of springlike weather, then got socked with a foot of widow maker snow overnight. I can feel the walls starting to close in .... brrrrrrrr ...

(Time to drop the needle!)
    Tom

Post by Tom Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:16 pm

Thanks for the corrections.
    Yeah, I have mild sexdaily.
    Um, mild dyslexia.
    Sorry.

Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:54 pm

"Cabin fever" has, of late, been remade into "seasonal affective disorder, and the literature on this grave medical disease makes no reference to "cabin fever" of course. Why? "Cabin fever" by it's name implies a social/environmental basis, not physiological.

But my own obsession with the improper rampant medicalization of the human condition begins to show through.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:41 pm

I'm dyslectic, agnostic, and an insomniac.

(I lay awake all night, wondering if there really IS a Dog ...)

PS ... I have no SAD jokes, other than the one just posted. Sad
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:52 pm

I am beginning to conclude that tube junkies are all, um, mentally defective -- not a bad thing, considering the general populace!
    Dale Stevens

Post by Dale Stevens Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:31 pm

Dave, still got the OMC; going to the dealer shop next week.. It's almost springtime here.
    last chance???? Dale
    wgallupe
    wgallupe

Post by wgallupe Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:36 pm

"I am beginning to conclude that tube junkies are all, um, mentally defective -- not a bad thing, considering the general populace!"

This made me laugh lol!  Thanks for that Dave! Of course, You are right...
    WntrMute2
    WntrMute2

Post by WntrMute2 Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:26 pm

I suggest experimenting with DIY interconnect recipes.  I have had eye opening results with reasonable expense.  For instance, VH audio's fine silver wire recipe for between phono-stage and pre-amp was incredible over my prior DIY cable which I still like in other areas. You can go crazy if you want!
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:34 pm

WntrMute2 wrote:I suggest experimenting with DIY interconnect recipes.  I have had eye opening results with reasonable expense.  For instance, VH audio's fine silver wire recipe for between phono-stage and pre-amp was incredible over my prior DIY cable which I still like in other areas.  You can go crazy if you want!

Crazy, indeed. I've been using some of Paul Laudati's Clear Day Cables silver RCA interconnects (http://www.cleardaycables.com/) between the power amps and preamp with great success and they're not expensive. Also use them in the phono circuit. They're unshielded so you have to route them carefully past the AC lines, but do deliver a loverly sound.

Maybe I should set about building a full set of DIY. Will investigate VH. Thanks for the advice.

Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:30 pm

deepee99 wrote:I am beginning to conclude that tube junkies are all, um, mentally defective -- not a bad thing, considering the general populace!

Us tube junkies tend to be a bit vacuous.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:19 pm

Tube Nube wrote:
    deepee99 wrote:I am beginning to conclude that tube junkies are all, um, mentally defective -- not a bad thing, considering the general populace!

Us tube junkies tend to be a bit vacuous.

Are you suggesting that we're the stuff that ends up in the vacuum cleaner bag?
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:49 pm

Heheh.

No, I meant we're a bit valve-like, ourselves.

There are some days when I could just use a little extra filament voltage
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:27 pm

Valve like?

Me like valve!

What's an OCD to do now? - Page 2 Valve-amp
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:41 pm

sKiZo wrote:Valve like?

Me like valve!

What's an OCD to do now? - Page 2 Valve-amp
    Do those propellers help with tube-rolling?
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:47 pm

SkIzO man makes me DrOoL
    deepee99
    deepee99

What's an OCD to do now? - Page 2 Empty I've had enough of yer lot

Post by deepee99 Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:39 pm

Putting all tube gear up for sale. Will buy a little Class D amp (hopefully with volume control), iPod and earbuds. The hell with you lot.
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:50 pm

All OCD's should come down to earth a little, but not this way!
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:55 pm

Tube Nube wrote:All OCD's should come down to earth a little, but not this way!

Death by transistor. I fear the end is near. OTOH, you oughta hear my 6H8Cs in the front Big Bopper driver holes, and antique Sylvanias in the front holes of the preamp. Maybe I will swap out rectifiers with Mullards and do some bi-wiring. I may live another day, Virginia . . .
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:38 pm

I approve of this Sanity by Sylvania. A benefit they never realized, back in the day, their tubes would one day provide.

I best get me a set for the ST70, and for the pre amp as well.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:53 am