The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+18
wgallupe
Tom
sKiZo
GP49
Dogstar
tubenutr
hansfob
Zimmer64
mantha3
j4570
corndog71
pmarcin
GreggW
Dale Stevens
peterh
Tube Nube
Kentley
deepee99
22 posters

What's an OCD to do now?

deepee99
    deepee99

What's an OCD to do now? - Page 3 Empty Re: What's an OCD to do now?

Post by deepee99 Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:54 pm

Swapped out the Gold Lion rectifiers (GZ-34s) for equivalent Mullards. After biasing, I can' hear a difference but it was sumpin' to do. Keeps me sane. Or not.
    Also put my two best 6H8Cs in the front holes of the M-125/Big Boppers, and some sweet Sylvanias in the front seats of the Sachs SP-14. We're gettin' close, baby, we're getting close.
    NOW, off to un-do the bi-wiring experiment with the Tylers. Waste of wire.
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:05 pm

Dave,

Were you able to hear a difference between the GL rectifier and a run-o-the-mill one?
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:16 pm

Tube Nube wrote:Dave,

Were you able to hear a difference between the GL rectifier and a run-o-the-mill one?
    No. But I "think" so, ergo I must. Old-stock Mullards are bullet-proof, so I'll keep the GLs on reserve.
    Definitely bias differences though, so if you swap 'em out you gotta rebias. I've got the Mullards and the GL KT-88s settled in nicely at 550 after an hour or two's burn. That's as hot as I like to run the KT-88s anyway. The Mullards and the GLs will push things up to 800 if you want, but be prepared for magic smoke and short tube life.

Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:21 pm

Dave, you need to go chill out in Mexico for awhile with an iPod - you won't need the tubes to keep you warm . . . Very Happy
    Gregg R.
    Gregg R.

Post by Gregg R. Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:47 am

My current fixation is power cables. Once you think you hear improvements, there is no going back!

About 16 years ago I went through drug/alcohol rehab; I've been clean and sober ever since.

Now I listen to wires!!
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:45 pm

Gregg R. wrote:My current fixation is power cables. Once you think you hear improvements, there is no going back!

About 16 years ago I went through drug/alcohol rehab; I've been clean and sober ever since.

Now I listen to wires!!

I was going to go to rehab until I was told they didn't serve whisky there Rolling Eyes
    I am not into snake-oil when it comes to cabling, but Don Sachs turned me on to a $100 power cable for his SP-14 and it did indeed make an improvement. I also replaced my Blue Jeans speaker cables with Paul Laudati's Clear Day Audio silver cables, also an audible improvement. As for short runs of RCA coax, I'm still convinced any old Radium Shack / Blue Jeans cords will work just fine.
    Depends on the lash-up you've got. Bi-wiring the Vandersteen 5Acs is an absolute must if you want you want to hear an audible improvement and even if you're just using lamp cord. With my new Tyler D12Xs, (well, a year old now) bi-wiring was a waste of time and money, although they're set up for it. It all depends on how the speaker mfgr sets up his crossovers.
    There may be logic in using good power cables. Electricity is like water flowing down from the reservoir. Along the way, the water collects a lot of crap (chlorine, rust in the pipes, etc., etc.) and the logical place to capture and eliminate that junk is with a filter installed right behind your water spigot. Same may apply to electricity.

audiobill

Post by audiobill Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:22 am

In the spirit of this thread and at the risk of violating my non-disclosure agreement, I can report that member Bluemeanies has taken up an instrument!!!! Lots of support to him.
    pmarcin
    pmarcin

Post by pmarcin Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:32 am

Dave, you gotta get the Google Chromecast audio. The Chromecast + 1/4" to RCA splitter turns your Tylers into a bluetooth speaker. ( Use an empty line level slot on your SP14 for the RCAs.)

How much will it cost you? Apx 40 USD. How can you go lose?
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:43 pm

pmarcin wrote:Dave, you gotta get the Google Chromecast audio. The Chromecast + 1/4" to RCA splitter turns your Tylers into a bluetooth speaker. ( Use an empty line level slot on your SP14 for the RCAs.)

How much will it cost you? Apx 40 USD. How can you go lose?

Then what do I do with my $100,000 speaker cables?
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:08 pm

Dave is using the airport express, IIRC.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:24 am