The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

TUBE SOCKETS

extremegv1

TUBE SOCKETS Empty TUBE SOCKETS

Post by extremegv1 Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:35 pm

Is THERE A differance in tube sockets? what are the best to use on a st-70.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

TUBE SOCKETS Empty Re: TUBE SOCKETS

Post by Bob Latino Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:39 pm

extremegv1 wrote:Is THERE A differance in tube sockets? what are the best to use on a st-70.

On all Dynaco amps with octal sockets you need "bottom mount" sockets that fit a 1 1/8 inch hole with a 1 1/2 inch screw mount center.

Ceramic sockets - Personally I don't like these because their white color (IMHO) doesn't look as good as a black socket. Most of these are from China and are cheaply made. Ceramic sockets also have no "give" and unless you are careful you can sometimes break the center guide pin on an octal tube withdrawing a tube from a ceramic socket.

Black Celanex sockets - I like this because the black matches the original color of the Dynaco amps and they have floating pins which makes it easier to insert a tube. These do not have a grounding tab but Kevin at Dynakitparts includes a grounding tab with every Celanex tube socket he sells. These are the same sockets that I use in kit and wired amps.

Celanex octal tube sockets at Dynakitparts

Bob

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 pm