The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Tight tube sockets

docswanson

Tight tube sockets Empty Tight tube sockets

Post by docswanson Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:11 pm

Hello all,
    In my recent ST-70 project with the VTA driver board, I find that the tube sockets on the driver board have incredibly tight pin holders.  When inserting 12AU7's, I am afraid I may damage the board, it takes so much pressure as I rock them in.  Is there any way to loosen the sockets, or maybe lubricate the pins to make tube rolling easier?
    mijohn

Tight tube sockets Empty Re: Tight tube sockets

Post by mijohn Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:46 am

I suggest you remove the back cover and turn the amp on it's side. While supporting the driver board near the sockets with one hand, firmly push in the tube with the other hand. Deoxit might help too, you could try that first.
    Pablo

Post by Pablo Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:02 am

I cured a case of tight tube sockets on my VTA SP14 preamp using the method mijohn describes, but I made sure I was using a low value tube in case it was damaged by the process.

Donspokane likes this post

DavidR
    DavidR

Post by DavidR Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:10 am

Are you using NOS tubes or new production. I have found that the NOS tube pins are slightly larger in diameter. Some more than others. The new production pins are slightly smaller. Perhaps they are metric sized.
    docswanson

Post by docswanson Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:47 pm

Yes, I am using NOS tubes. I may have to support the back as mijohn suggests.

DavidR likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:05 pm