The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Help with a Dynaco ST-70

darkhawk22
    darkhawk22

Help with a Dynaco ST-70 Empty Help with a Dynaco ST-70

Post by darkhawk22 Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:15 am

I need some help with my Dynaco ST-70

History:

I've been listening blissfully to my ST-70 for the past year or so with no issues. I turn it on in the morning around 6 when working from home and off around 3 or so. It is being ran from the pre-amp output of my Pioneer SX-980 and powering my HPM-150's.

When i purchased the Amp (was sold to me as tested and working) I cleaned it up, replaced the main cap and the rectifier (it was making a buzzing noise) and maintain the bias at approx. 1.54. My output tubes are Winged C EL-34's.

Issues:

Recently the amp. had an issue where the front left output tube started to run hot. There was a popping through the tubes so I looked up and noticed the issue. I powered it down and let it cool. I swapped the front and back left tubes and powered it back up. The left channel sounded weak but no red plating or running hot so I powered it down and swapped the output tubes to the right channel and vice versa. Let it cool and powered it back up. Same issue. Turned it off and swapped the 7199's. This seemed to fix the problem. It worked for a few days and then the weak channel issue was back. When i went to check the bias and put the multi-meter ground wire to the Amp housing the weak channel issue went away. (Perhaps a grounding issue?). Later on the amp wanted to run hot again and blew a fuse. So I powered it off and purchased a new Rectifier Mullard GZ-34.

Now:

I installed the Mullard GZ-34 Rectifier, checked the bias and set to 1.54 approx. and ran the amp for about 20 mins. the weak left channel was there at first and then went away as I touched the multi-meter lead to the housing. After a while the front left output tube went hot again and the amp blew a fuse Note: these left tubes are the ones that were originally on the right. So now i'm not sure what to do. Any help appreciated!

Peter W.
    Peter W.

Help with a Dynaco ST-70 Empty Re: Help with a Dynaco ST-70

Post by Peter W. Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:26 am

The first thing that comes to mind is that you may need a new set of both driver and output tubes. 9 hours per day for say.... 4 days per week is 1872 hours - against no clue as to how many hours were on the tubes prior to you getting the amp.

And, I will ask my usual questions:

a) where are you? If you are anywhere near Philadelphia, PA, I have the capacity for an actual quality-test of your present tube complement.
    b) If not, is there anyone near you with a good tube tester?

As to 7199s, I have more than a life-time supply, even with three amps in the inventory that use them. If this turns out to be the issue, let me know.

The point of testing the tubes is that you want to remove that issue from consideration before looking for component or mechanical faults. And, if there is such a fault, merely replacing the tubes will not effect a cure.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:08 am

You need a fresh quad of output tubes.
    Don't mess with the 7199, don't fool around with anything else, just replace the EL34 to a
    MATCHED QUAD ( or two matched pairs) and adjust bias accordingly.

darkhawk22
    darkhawk22

Post by darkhawk22 Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:24 am

gotcha ok i'll go for a new set of El-34's. I'm looking at Mullards, JJ 6Ca7's, or Electro-Harmonix big bottle. Any recommendations or is there really that much of a difference?
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:23 pm

darkhawk22 wrote:gotcha ok i'll go for a new set of El-34's.  I'm looking at Mullards, JJ 6Ca7's, or Electro-Harmonix big bottle.  Any recommendations or is there really that much of a difference?
    Make sure it's a matched set ( matched at working voltages) and that
    the seller gives warrantee. Don't go for "cheapest in town" go for
    a supplier you trust.

Mr. Jim McShane is a vendor i would trust, he is a member of this board.

Last edited by peterh on Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Gettin name correct)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 7:22 am