The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+4
corndog71
Dave_in_Va
deepee99
Mandopicker
8 posters

Turntable from U-Turn Audio

Mandopicker
    Mandopicker

Turntable from U-Turn Audio Empty Turntable from U-Turn Audio

Post by Mandopicker Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:39 pm

https://uturnaudio.com

Are you guys familiar with this great looking turntable?  The price is hard to beat for such a customizable platform.  Build philosophy reminded me of Dynaco, too.

I think I gotta have one, but would love to hear if anyone had some experience using one first.

Thanks in advance....
    deepee99
    deepee99

Turntable from U-Turn Audio Empty Re: Turntable from U-Turn Audio

Post by deepee99 Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:30 pm

Mando, it's a great little table, very friendly, knowledgeable and English-as-a-first-language support, sturdy, and quiet. Plus they come with pre-installed carts, which is the most annoying process we face setting a new table up.
    You'll probably want the platter and cork mat upgrades. I've had mine from when they first came out and love it. If you want to upgrade with a heavier cartridge they'll send you an extra counterweight gratis.
    Last I heard they were working on a tonearm upgrade but there's no flies on the original.
    No anti-skating, but neither did my $1300 VPI either. Nice damping on the cue function but pick-up is manual.
    Takes about 2 minutes to set it up. Plug it in, string the rubber band around the motor and platter, drop in the tonearm ass'y, and you're live.
    And a hinged dust-cover even comes with it; just drop the hinges into the slots.
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:58 pm

I haven't got one.
    I just checked out the website and one thing I'd advise would be to get one with an acrylic platter. When I changed over to an acrylic platter on my Music Hall turntable, there was a very noticable drop in noise.

It looks like a pretty nice table.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:03 pm

My brother bought one with cartridge and built-in phono preamp. He loves it and can once again enjoy the vinyl he's kept for 40 years.
    j beede
    j beede

Post by j beede Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:22 am

If you are looking for an effective low cost turntable you can pick up a Rega Planar 3 with RB-300 arm these days for $300-400. The base Orbit may be a bargain, once you add the cueing and ditch the particle board platter--not so much. And what's with that smell? Seriously.
    Dogstar

Post by Dogstar Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:20 am

It's a heck of a lot nicer than a Crosley.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:32 am

Yeah, U-Turn makes what appears to be a decent TT.

For those without mechanical skills, New is the only way to go. Otherwise, there are very excellent legacy TTs from many makers in many configurations that will result in better performance *IF* properly restored.

Thorens
    Revox
    AR
    Rabco (Harman Kardon)

Come immediately to mind in no particular order. The linear TTs can be fussy, but if one 'gets there', there is nothing like them at all.

And, if course there are exotics both in tables and arms that may be had at a fraction of 'new' cost back on the day.
    ramon68

Post by ramon68 Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:20 am

Take deepee's advice.
    j beede
    j beede

Post by j beede Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:00 am

Dogstar wrote:It's a heck of a lot nicer than a Crosley.

Depends. Crosley now sells re-labeled Pro-Ject turntables: the C10 and C20. The C10 is several steps up from the Orbit, and a better deal to boot.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Turntable from U-Turn Audio Empty Want to try my U-turn?

Post by deepee99 Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:23 pm

I've got a U-turn for sale, c/out the Buy & Sell sticky link on the front page of of the Forum shortly. Only reason I'm selling it is I scored a solid-gold Thorens and use the proceeds for restoration purposes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:47 pm