The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+5
Peter W.
corndog71
Dogstar
arledgsc
Kentley
9 posters

VTA Headphone Amplifier???

Kentley
    Kentley

VTA Headphone Amplifier??? Empty VTA Headphone Amplifier???

Post by Kentley Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:42 pm

Who would buy a VTA-designed fully-tubular headphone amp? I would. Or an interface to use with the SP-13, 14, or 15 to get The Ballz with your Sennheisers?
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

VTA Headphone Amplifier??? Empty Re: VTA Headphone Amplifier???

Post by Peter W. Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:07 am

You have the means right to hand.

Once upon a time, Koss made a small bakelite box with two pairs of wires going in and a 1/4" jack coming out. On top was a switch (Speakers/Phones). One connected it to the speaker output of an amp, and the speakers to the other pair of wires. Plug the phones into the jack, use the switch, home-free.

Inside, other than a fairly healthy switch, was a pair of high-wattage ceramic 1% resistors - as I remember, about 100 ohms or so. But easily determined as needed. Seems to be a fairly simple exercise. And the level of elegance possible is unlimited, the cost small.
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:35 am

That is a great idea... I would certainly consider a standalone tube headphone amp in kit form. Input, output, and a volume knob.
    Dogstar

Post by Dogstar Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:21 pm

How about tube powered 'Walkman' kit?
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:19 am

Kentley wrote:Who would buy a VTA-designed fully-tubular headphone amp? I would. Or an interface to use with the SP-13, 14, or 15 to get The Ballz with your Sennheisers?

It could be a powered box with a cathode follower, feeded from the preamp, and
    with outputs to poweramp ( input is routed via a switch that disconnects output when
    headphone is active) and headphone. By choosing different tubes and resistors one
    could adapt to high and low sensity phones.
    It needs to be powered, with 120/240 Volt transformer ( or SPS)

The same unit could make service as a buffer for those that wants to feed
    a sand amp from a high impedance tube preamp.

Yes, this product would fill a hole in the market
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:46 pm

I have one of the Bottlehead headphone amps (S.e.X 2.0) and it's terrific.

Schiit Audio makes some nice tube and SS headphone amps.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:17 pm

Bob:

I think the intent is for a headphone amp with the VTA name on it, not 'just any' such device - as there are many stand-alone and at least one add-on device for the purpose.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Peter W. wrote:Bob:

I think the intent is for a headphone amp with the VTA name on it, not 'just any' such device - as there are many stand-alone and at least one add-on device for the purpose.

I do not thing there is any complete ( power box etc) that uses sane circuit and a
    normal cathode-follower output using any of the known good triodes. Many of them
    uses low voltage circuits, some uses obscure penthodes etc. I may be mistaken but
    i had to build my own a year ago.

A VTA stamp would also increase it's value, especially if it's as good as the other VTA stuff. And
    a low price is not the primary goal, good sound , flexibility and reliability should be premium.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:28 pm

Kent,
    where were you back in 2011 ?  I made a high-end all tube headphone amp for a couple of customers.  
    Lots of power, available with EL84 or 6L6 output tubes.  See photos below.  Around $800 at that time.
    And I just found one pair of stuffed boards I had stashed away for the octal version. So could sell a kit cheap!
    Or build a new one for no so cheap.
    VTA Headphone Amplifier??? HA14-01
    VTA Headphone Amplifier??? HA14-04
    VTA Headphone Amplifier??? HA14-07
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:07 pm

Roy - I was unaware of VTA in 2011, unfortunately.
    That is exactly what I had in mind! I'd definitely go for a kit. It might be a few months before I can swing the $$$.
    PM me with the details, please. Thank you!!!
    pmarcin
    pmarcin

Post by pmarcin Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:08 am

Roy, I should say I remember it well! It was a steal back then, is now and sounds terrific.

Last edited by pmarcin on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:12 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added some comments.)
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:47 pm

Peter W. wrote:Bob:

Peter, there's no VTA logo on VTA amps. I like your solution, though.
    I DID go to a stencil-maker at a flea market and had him make up a couple of VTA decals for my M-125s. Put 'em on slightly crooked, scratched 'em off. So folks say, what's the make of those thangs? I just tell 'em some friend worked them up for me... Smile
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:21 pm

Dave,
    let's not confuse people. Their may not be a VTA logo on any amps sold by Bob, but on all products sold by me, there is either a VTA logo or a Tubes4HiFi logo on everything!
    And I've still got several dozen peel & stick metal-foil VTA labels you can put on anything you want.

Depending on continued interest, I've got 4 possibilities for anyone interested in a Hi-End Tube headphone amp (I'm not talking about a $50 chinese unit or a one tube $250 USA unit, those have from 10mw to 200mw)
    There are my original HA14 and HA12 headphone amps for those who want the very best at any price, or I can convert an SP13 preamp into a nice headphone amp for around $1000
    (but it won't have the power of the HA14 or HA12), or I'm wllling to build a Bottlehead SEX headphone amp for $150 labor (they go for around $550 as a kit).
    The HA14 puts out 2 full watts of power at 30 ohms, the HA12 puts out 500mw of power into 30 ohms (both of these are SE amps with big power tubes and output transformers).
    A converted SP13 would put out around 500mw of power at 30 ohms (haven't build one or tried it yet), and the SEX claims to have 2 full watts of power at 32 ohms output (also SE with output transformers).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:04 am