The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

6550's soft medium ?

scottlowe76

6550's    soft  medium  ? Empty 6550's soft medium ?

Post by scottlowe76 Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:13 am

I was looking at some 6550s at the Guitar center . The only place I found in Eugene ,Or that has tubes in stock. I did not understand what was meant when they listed them as soft or medium ? no clue ?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

6550's    soft  medium  ? Empty Re: 6550's soft medium ?

Post by Bob Latino Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:33 am

scottlowe76 wrote:I was looking at some 6550s at the Guitar center . The only place I found in Eugene ,Or that has tubes in stock. I did not understand what was meant when they listed them as   soft or medium ?  no clue ?

"Soft, medium or hard" are terms that refer specifically to GUITAR AMPS. These characteristics refer to the point at which distortion starts. "Soft tubes" start to distort a little earlier and gradually. A HARD tube may pushed "harder" before distortion starts. These terms have no real bearing with respect to audio gear.

Bob

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:59 am