The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+5
stewdan
Dale Stevens
j beede
peterh
matallan
9 posters

New Guy. Chassis Stand

matallan

New Guy.  Chassis Stand Empty New Guy. Chassis Stand

Post by matallan Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:09 am

After a long time loitering on this forum, I finally ordered a Vta 120.  Already owe a big thank you to everyone on this form as I have read every post and have learnt enough to be confident enough to build my first tube amp.(Hopefully) While waiting for kit to arrive, I checked voltage in house at varying times and built a dim bulb tester.
     I would now like to build a chassis stand so I will be ready when my kit arrives but not sure if the ones on Google will work for this chassis.  I had thought there was a plan for one on this forum but cannot locate it. I think it was a simple design and only fit the Vta amps. Just curios as to what you are using on your bench
    peterh
    peterh

New Guy.  Chassis Stand Empty Re: New Guy. Chassis Stand

Post by peterh Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:27 am

matallan wrote:After a long time loitering on this forum, I finally ordered a Vta 120.  Already owe a big thank you to everyone on this form as I have read every post and have learnt enough to be confident enough to build my first tube amp.(Hopefully) While waiting for kit to arrive, I checked voltage in house at varying times and built a dim bulb tester.
     I would now like to build a chassis stand so I will be ready when my kit arrives but not sure if the ones on Google will work for this chassis.  I had thought there was a plan for one on this forum but cannot locate it. I think it was a simple design and only fit the Vta amps. Just curios as to what you are using on your bench
    I do not have my vta70 on a stand, i have it on the top shelf close to the ceiling. That way
    it does not heat other stuff and it's out-of-the-way . As i have build a remote power control
    into the unit i do not have to be able to reach it.
    matallan

Post by matallan Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:46 am

Sorry. Guess I never made my post clear enough.  I would like to build a chassis stand to work and test on the amp upside down
    j beede
    j beede

Post by j beede Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:14 pm

I have never flipped a VTA -120 over but I have flipped the VTA-70 many times and it stands just fine without a stand. I suppose the VTA-120 balance may be different. Anyone?
    matallan

Post by matallan Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:20 pm

Perhaps I am over thinking this. I thought the tubes were higher than the transformer so I needed the amp in a stand of some sort so it can be inverted for testing while tubes are still in it
    Dale Stevens

Post by Dale Stevens Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:44 pm

The 120 will lay on its back resting on the transformers That's how I do mine. Dale
    stewdan

Post by stewdan Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:04 pm

Matallan -- The "stand" that you are referring to was shown in Pictures on the Forum, probably 4 years ago???

I am not really sure of the time frame???

The Forum Search can't seem to find it now. From what I remember of it, the tubes were higher than the Trannys.

(Might have been because they were KT120's?????)

From what I remember, it was a "T-Shape" and the main wood rail fit between the Trannys and balanced out the amplifier.

Hope this helps!
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:47 pm

Below are two links .. One shows the dimensions of the ST-70/120 amp stand (NOTE - You will need TWO PIECES of the dimensions shown) and one shows what it looks like in use.

https://www.facebook.com/vta.amp.kits/photos/pcb.1048613525247177/1048613175247212/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/vta.amp.kits/photos/pcb.1048613525247177/1048613115247218/?type=3&theater

Bob
    matallan

Post by matallan Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:37 pm

Wow. Thanks. I appreciate that. That's the one I had seen a while back. Waiting on some parts so I will make one up.
    wildiowa

Post by wildiowa Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:58 pm

This seems similar to the "rotisserie" that we would sometimes build to work on restoring old VW's. Put the body on that thingie and rotate it for painting etc...also used one for painting old guitars. Great idea. You can probably get by without one for your amp.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:14 pm

Troy Madden built a nice little stand for construction and bench work. He put up some photos of it a few years ago on the forum. I can't remember the thread, Bob L., maybe you do?
    aguaazul
    aguaazul

Post by aguaazul Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:51 am

I was at a client's job site yesterday and had them cut up the plywood for me. my question is what do you place in the 3/16th hole? Do you use the screws that came with the amp or wood screws?
    Then the screws / washers to secure the top, what do you use there?

Thanks, Blue
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:05 am

aguaazul wrote:I was at a client's job site yesterday and had them cut up the plywood for me. my question is what do you place in the 3/16th hole? Do you use the screws that came with the amp or wood screws?
    Then the screws / washers to secure the top, what do you use there?

Thanks, Blue

You will need four 6-32 machine screws 1 inch long. The 6-32 machine screws fit into the 4 tapped threads on the main chassis that presently hold on the bottom cover of the amp.

Bob

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:48 am