The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

PAS Z-PC5 Z-PC6 vs Stock Boards?

Kinski

PAS Z-PC5  Z-PC6 vs Stock Boards? Empty PAS Z-PC5 Z-PC6 vs Stock Boards?

Post by Kinski Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:50 pm

I'd like to redo the boards for my PAS2. Im considering all new stock boards, or possibly the Erhard Audio Z-PC5 & Z-PC6 boards. Anyone know how these boards differ from the stock ones?
    peterh
    peterh

PAS Z-PC5  Z-PC6 vs Stock Boards? Empty Re: PAS Z-PC5 Z-PC6 vs Stock Boards?

Post by peterh Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:13 pm

Kinski wrote:I'd like to redo the boards for my PAS2. Im considering all new stock boards, or possibly the Erhard Audio Z-PC5 & Z-PC6 boards. Anyone know how these boards differ from the stock ones?
    They will cost more money.
    Keeping the present inventory ( if they are undamaged) will keep the sound and value .
    Kinski

Post by Kinski Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:43 pm

Hi, thanks for your thoughts.

Im not really concerned about the value of the unit. Besides, it will be easy enough to put the old original boards back in if it was ever preferred.

I'm certain the boards need at least a refresh of new stock value boards. But the Z-series boards are interesting to me, as they don't need any upgrades to the transformers. Its a simple drop in. Problem is, i've only read that they are "better" but that doesn't really mean much as I have no idea what "better" entails sonically.

Guess I'm leading towards a new stock driver board, and a z-series "upgraded" phono board. But not sure if I can mix the two like that.

Post by Guest Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:34 pm

the Z-series PAS upgrades are a big improvement over the original Dynaco PC5 and PC6.
    Both are 'modern' tube circuits and sonically better performers.
    Especially on the phono preamp, a much improved RIAA makes a big difference.
    You cannot mix the Z series with the original circuits. Its all or nothing. Also, you will loose the tone controls, loudness, filter and blend functions with the Z series, as the line preamp is a 'classic' no tone control preamp.
    A new selector switch is also recommended, as the wiring with the Z series kits is quite different. Also look at the volume and balance controls, as the carbon on those may be worn and brittle.
    It is also recommended to consider the Z series power supply upgrade kit if upgrading to the Z series preamps.
    Modern electro caps and rectifier diodes is again, a big improvement over the original, now very aged and possibly leaky, power supply multi cap and the selenium rectifier.
    If you prefer to keep the tone controls, then you need to look at the TCLA upgrade kit, in which case, you must get the regulated power supply kit, as the Dynaco PA211 power transformer filament supply will really not be able to handle the additional two tubes on the TCLA.
    If you need more information, 'pm' me.
    Kinski

Post by Kinski Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:40 am

Hey thanks. I think I may just go get the full z-kit: driver, phono, and power supply. I bypassed the tone controls anyway.
    allenmmusic10003
    allenmmusic10003

Post by allenmmusic10003 Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:36 pm

My two cents:
    I installed the regulated ps, Aikido line board and PH10 phono board....very happy with improvements. NOS 6072 in the PH10 and NOS Mullard 12AU7 in Aikido

Post by Guest Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:37 pm

allenmmusic10003 wrote:My two cents:
    I installed the regulated ps, Aikido line board and PH10 phono board....very happy with improvements. NOS 6072 in the PH10 and NOS Mullard 12AU7 in Aikido

glad to hear that you are enjoying the upgrades!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:52 am