The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Driver board comparison?

kevinmi
    kevinmi

Driver board comparison? Empty Driver board comparison?

Post by kevinmi Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:12 pm

We have Hi gain, low gain, and now octal tube driver boards for the ST-70 and 120 amps. Has any one compared theses boards as far as overall sound differences to each other? I have both the hi gain and low gain boards for my st-120 and they are both optioned with the upgraded caps.. I don't know if one is better than the other sonically, but I know I've amassed a large quantity of tubes!
    The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of building a ST-70 amp, and was wondering if I should use the hi-gain board I have laying around, with plenty of nice vintage 12at7 tubes to populate it, stick with the low gain board and steal my good tubes from my ST-120, or go with the octal board and start buying a whole new set of tubes?
    My main goal is to build a new amp for a smaller listening room, with the best sound I can squeeze out of it. I have no complaints with my ST-120, but it will be such overkill, and I really have the itch to build a new project anyway.
    Any and all input is appreciated! Thanks, Kevin
    corndog71
    corndog71

Driver board comparison? Empty Re: Driver board comparison?

Post by corndog71 Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:06 pm

You got that bug. That itch to keep building. It’s addictive, fun, and a little dangerous.

I know it well.

I don’t know about the high gain board but I don’t think you can go wrong with any of those choices.
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:18 am

I don't know anything about the AT7 board but with the AU7 board, you have a ton of choices in tubes. Lotsa versions of 12AU7's out there.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:55 am

Worth mentioning, the newer boards have several improvements, most notable of which IMHO would be the CCS tail on the drivers. This keeps the current at a set level that's not affected by line fluctuations and demand. Result is better stability and improved sonics.

PS - speaking of tons of choices ... still happy with the 6SN7 center driver here. Haven't swapped that for maybe a year, which is easily a record here.

Driver board comparison? 6sn7-adapted

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:22 pm