The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+4
Dogstar
10-E-C
Dave_in_Va
Bob Latino
8 posters

Get out and listen to some live music ..

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Get out and listen to some live music .. Empty Get out and listen to some live music ..

Post by Bob Latino Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:17 pm

Get out and listen to some live music .. Jersey_Boys_composite

My wife managed to get two tickets to the Jersey Boys play at the Hanover Theater in Worcester, MA last night. My birthday is coming up next month and she surprised me last week with the tickets. Yes - the music is coming through speakers but the singing and music is live. I had seen the Jersey Boys movie and loved it. The play is a little longer (2 hours 35 minutes) than the movie (2 hours and 14 minutes). There are songs, scenes and dialogue in the play that were not in the movie. We had good seats in the "Gold" area just to the right of the center section. They have Buddy Holley and Pink Floyd tribute shows coming up. My wife is a big Pink Floyd fan. I may surprise here with some Pink Floyd tickets ..

Bob
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Get out and listen to some live music .. Empty Re: Get out and listen to some live music ..

Post by Dave_in_Va Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:27 pm

Really surprise her with some Pink Floyd tickets and a hit of blotter. Set The Controls.....
    10-E-C
    10-E-C

Get out and listen to some live music .. Empty Re: Get out and listen to some live music ..

Post by 10-E-C Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:04 pm

I listen to a lot of live music in my area, Down Home in Johnson City, Tn has shows every weekend with lots of talent.
    Dogstar

Post by Dogstar Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:59 am

Last Thursday, March 15, I saw and listened to Blue Oyster Cult at the Tivoli Theater in Downers Grove, Illinois. I had a front row sear just left of center. The acoustics were very good and the nice cushioned chairs were very comfortable. Those guys put on a great show. Buck Dharma was phenomenal on guitar.
    wildiowa

Post by wildiowa Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:06 am

I was probably 8 years old on the farm in Iowa when I started to tear apart AM radios and spinning the dial late into the night to hear stations across the US. Of all the groups I especially liked the Four Seasons over many others....it just seemed they had a feel and a groove that set them apart, in spite of the rather unusual falsetto vocals of Frankie Vallie. I think the early recordings at Vee Jay in New Jersey must have had some funky studio musicians that just gave it a solid, funky feel even though they were clearly a bunch of white boys. It just felt different. I think Bob Gaudio was the real brains behind the outfit.
    wildiowa

Post by wildiowa Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:22 am

This got me digging deeper since my post...Vee Jay was originally a label in Chicago and the Four Seasons were their first white act...that explains the funky rhythm section. Not sure where they recorded but their VJ tunes all had very tight solid backing tracks.
    Roy
    Roy

Post by Roy Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:48 am

Enjoy the show and the company Bob - looks nice  !

I loved musicals growing up - my kid however I try to show him some of the classics and  he goes          why are they singing daddy?  
    Well except the Blues Brothers - thát one makes good sense to him apparently

We have a decent theater nearby and I really should take my kid there shouldn't I..

Anyways hope you have a great birthday
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:56 am

There is some very interesting music in the sacramento area, don heflin, ron thompson and others.
    A band "deja blues" has been played on shoutcast radio, together it is motivation to visit that area.
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:09 pm

Funny, my wife got me tickets to that very show in NYC for my B'Day a few years ago. I'd see that one again it was that good.
    Dogstar

Post by Dogstar Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:48 pm

Ever since I heard John Scofield's A Go Go album I wanted to listen to Scofield live. I have many of his albums on CD and every time I checked out his web site he was always playing somewhere out of the country it seemed. I happened to hear an announcement on WDCB-FM that he was playing in Chicago at the same place the Chicago Symphony Orchestra plays at downtown. First time ever there. Ravi Coltrane, John Coltrane's son and his quartet was the opening band. The performance was very tight and sounded fantastic. I was very disappointed with Scofield. They made mistakes and play off key or out if sync with each other. It was typical at the end of a performance the musicians take a bow before walking off stage while the audience applauds. Ravi Coltrane's quartet followed tradition. Scofield and his band simply ended their song and walked off stage. Not even thanking or acknowledging what little applause they got. I kinda lost my admiration for Scofield after that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 4:06 pm