The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Is my rectifier tube bad?

MV213

Is my rectifier tube bad? Empty Is my rectifier tube bad?

Post by MV213 Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:27 pm

I just finished my ST-120 this morning. Just before lunch I got the first 6550 biased with no problems following the initial startup instructions from Bob. I then shut the amp down to have lunch. Starting back up, I now have no bias and no B+. I still have 430 vac at the rectifier tube. Seems likely to be the rectifier tube but I wanted to run it by the experts here. I think I’ll switch to a Weber copper cap if that’s the issue, I do have the TDR.

Thanks for any help!

J.P. Mears
    Dallas, OR—the OTHER Big D
    MV213

Is my rectifier tube bad? Empty Re: Is my rectifier tube bad?

Post by MV213 Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:36 am

Well, I was anxious to try the amp out so I bypassed the rectifier tube with a couple of 1N4007 diodes. Success! My amp biased up beautifully and fired up and sounds great! I have some modifications to do, so no pictures yet. I’m glad I opted for the TDR even though I planned to use a tube rectifier.

A quick conversation with Bob prompted me to look at my line voltage which is kind of high, almost 124 VAC. I will be picking up a variac. I’ve also ordered a new rectifier tube of a different brand and will do the diode backup mod on it.
    j beede
    j beede

Post by j beede Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:27 am

Well done. 1n4007 diodes are your friend and every DIY tube audio fan should keep a supply on hand. Also, if you don't already have them, add a couple 22uF, 450V electrolytics to your tool kit. These are the easiest way to confirm/bypass a bad segment in a quad cap.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:57 pm

MV213 wrote:A quick conversation with Bob prompted me to look at my line voltage which is kind of high, almost 124 VAC.  I will be picking up a variac.   I’ve also ordered a new rectifier tube of a different brand and will do the diode backup mod on it.

On the back of the parts list sheet on every VTA amp kit is a warning about running your VTA amp at voltages of 122 VAC or higher. Your addition of diodes in place of a rectifier tube will make the B+ DC voltage even higher than with a tube rectifier. My advice is to not run the amp until your variac arrives.

Bob
    MV213

Post by MV213 Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:58 pm

Thanks Bob! I should have it soon. In the meantime I’ll work on my mods. Thanks again for your help.

bluemeanies
    bluemeanies

Is my rectifier tube bad? Empty Is my rectifier tube bad

Post by bluemeanies Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:14 pm

Thank God I purchase a Variac!
    My in house voltage level varies as low as 117 and as high as 125 on a daily basis. Since the addition of the Variac it takes the guesswork out of the equation and knowing my m125's are operating safely.
    A worthwhile investment.
    MV213

Post by MV213 Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:59 am

I didn’t realize my voltage was so high. My variac is on the way. Mods continue, hopefully will wrap them up in a day or so.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:02 am