The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Blown Weber wz68 rectifier need part information.

jmczaja

Blown Weber wz68 rectifier need part information. Empty Blown Weber wz68 rectifier need part information.

Post by jmczaja Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:20 pm

Luckily I had a spare rectifier and fuse! =P

Instead of tossing the rectifier, I'd like to rebuild it and mod i will the holes like another poster (tmadden) suggested a while back. Always good to have a spare on hand.

The diodes are 1n4007's and the thermistor is Mouser P/N 995-SL12-12102

What are the values / part number for the 2 resistors inside?

Thanks!
    jmczaja

Blown Weber wz68 rectifier need part information. Empty Re: Blown Weber wz68 rectifier need part information.

Post by jmczaja Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:35 pm

Well.. Answered my own question! Amazing what a little nail polish remover will do.

For reference it's a 10W 18 ohm wire wound J (5%)
    eickmewg

Blown Weber wz68 rectifier need part information. Empty Re: Blown Weber wz68 rectifier need part information.

Post by eickmewg Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:10 am

Drilling some ventilation holes in a WZ68 really helps to keep it cool. I have one hole at the top and 3 more on each side positioned so that the resistors don't block them. I also have a small fan I use to cool the power transformer on mt ST120. With both of these, I can actually touch the top of the rectifier for several seconds. My WZ68 is now about 4 years old and still going great guns. Keeping it cool has to be helping longevity.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:20 am

eickmewg wrote:Drilling some ventilation holes in a WZ68 really helps to keep it cool.  I have one hole at the top and 3 more on each side positioned so that the resistors don't block them.  I also have a small fan I use to cool the power transformer on mt ST120.  With both of these, I can actually touch the top of the rectifier for several seconds.  My WZ68 is now about 4 years old and still going great guns.  Keeping it cool has to be helping longevity.

The Weber WZ68 works great in all the VTA amps and is long lasting. On the Weber web site they mention that "the Weber WZ68 is only for guitar amps and not for audio amps" The reason for this is that a few years ago I had a rash of VTA amp kit customers buy their own tube set, build their kit and install a Weber rectifier into their amp with an improperly wired high voltage system. They turned the amp on for the first time and smoked the Weber on the first start up. They then tried to have Weber replace the rectifier because it was "defective". Weber refused because they test them all for proper operation before they leave the factory.

My only warning for the Weber is that if you have higher than normal line voltages, the Weber rectifiers will make the DC voltages slightly higher than a tube rectifier.

Bob

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:27 am