The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

vta octal B+ voltage

kost

vta octal B+ voltage Empty vta octal B+ voltage

Post by kost Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:30 am

Hi
    I have a vta st 70 octal version and kt88 tubes.As i see the b+ has 350 volts instead of 400.Do you think that i can reduce the value of
    the 2k2 resistor between the two capacitors to adjust the voltage?
    thank you
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

vta octal B+ voltage Empty Re: vta octal B+ voltage

Post by Peter W. Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:30 pm

kost wrote:Hi
    I have a vta st 70 octal version and kt88 tubes.As i see the b+ has 350 volts instead of 400.Do you think that i can reduce the value of
    the 2k2 resistor between the two capacitors to adjust the voltage?
    thank you

Two things:

a) Reduced B+ will reduce the power-output of the amp somewhat, but it will lengthen the life of the output tubes as well.
    b) B+ is directly tied to input (wallplate) voltage. What is your present wallplate voltage?

Put another way... if it ain't broke....
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:40 pm

B+ voltage will be inversely proportional to the amount of current running thru the output tubes.
    If you turn down the current, the B+ voltage will go up.
    The ST70 typically has around 410-420vdc if your AC input voltage is 120vac.
    That's running four output tubes at 40-45ma.
    If you are running KT88s at 50-60ma each, I can see B+ going down to around 380vdc.
    The VTA driver board is designed for 360-380vdc, the difference coming from the ( 2.2K ) dropping resistor.
    the board uses 25ma. Use ohms law. A 2.2K resistor will drop about 55v. A 1K resistor will drop around 25v.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:57 am