The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Input Selector Switch or Relay Controlled Selector?

Jedidiah

Input Selector Switch or Relay Controlled Selector? Empty Input Selector Switch or Relay Controlled Selector?

Post by Jedidiah Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:51 pm

I see that some of the SP's had the option for relayed controlled input selection.

I was thinking about doing this on my SP14, is there a reason that it doesn't make it in some of the custom builds I have seen?
    I can't imagine there be a HUGE difference in sound from running the wires all over the chassis and back vs just an inch or two from the inputs to the controller..

Thank you in advance for you input!

(long time reader first time posting so thank you to all that post here as i have been reading lots over the years)
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Input Selector Switch or Relay Controlled Selector? Empty Re: Input Selector Switch or Relay Controlled Selector?

Post by Roy Mottram Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:35 pm

the only advantage of an input relay switcher is using alot less wire or cable
    and if you use one that has remote control for switching if you're too lazy to get out of your seat
    CletusB
    CletusB

Input Selector Switch or Relay Controlled Selector? Empty Re: Input Selector Switch or Relay Controlled Selector?

Post by CletusB Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:59 am

Here's my switcher  ....and it's dead quiet. This is also where I have my stepped attenuator.

Switch Positions:
    1 Left & right outputs shunted to Gnd (Mute)
    2 CD deck
    3 DAC / Rpi Server
    4 Line feed from recording suite
    5 Rear Aux input
    6 Front Aux input

Input Selector Switch or Relay Controlled Selector? Sw1_jf10

Input Selector Switch or Relay Controlled Selector? Sw2_jf10

Input Selector Switch or Relay Controlled Selector? Sw3_jf10

Post by Guest Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:16 pm

another option is to use a shaft to connect the knob on the front panel to the selector switch at the rear panel, but this would require a dedicated pcb to which the selector switch and RCA sockets are mounted to.
    If you are interested in this type of setup, 'pm' me.
    CletusB
    CletusB

Post by CletusB Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:09 pm

erhard-audio wrote:another option is to use a shaft to connect the knob on the front panel to the selector switch at the rear panel, but this would require a dedicated pcb to which the selector switch and RCA sockets are mounted to.
    Would certainly make for a clean build.   Does this mean you are into making PCBs professionally? if so I may need your services from time to time.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:22 pm

CletusB wrote:
    erhard-audio wrote:another option is to use a shaft to connect the knob on the front panel to the selector switch at the rear panel, but this would require a dedicated pcb to which the selector switch and RCA sockets are mounted to.
    Would certainly make for a clean build.   Does this mean you are into making PCBs professionally? if so I may need your services from time to time.

I get them made for my custom builds and I do have the pcb in question, again 'pm' me if you are interested in more details etc..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:00 pm