The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

"Lots" of Dynaco Equipment - Auction in Connecticut

Peter W.
    Peter W.

"Lots" of Dynaco Equipment - Auction in Connecticut Empty "Lots" of Dynaco Equipment - Auction in Connecticut

Post by Peter W. Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:03 am

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/timed/hamilton-group/catalogue-id-bsctheh10116#lot-1098f977-36f4-4c02-942d-a988011f8978

Guys and gals - this looks like an opportunity to acquire any number of "projects" to carry you through the winter months. Apparently this collector is (was?) a single gentleman who spend his time acquiring and repairing vintage audio equipment, as well as using outside professionals.

Might be less costly than eBay, especially if one is within reasonable driving distance.

In any case, Enjoy!
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

"Lots" of Dynaco Equipment - Auction in Connecticut Empty Re: "Lots" of Dynaco Equipment - Auction in Connecticut

Post by Dave_in_Va Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:49 pm

Thanks.

Whew..........
    cci1492
    cci1492

"Lots" of Dynaco Equipment - Auction in Connecticut Empty Re: "Lots" of Dynaco Equipment - Auction in Connecticut

Post by cci1492 Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:25 pm

I need a bib! The box of the 6550s please!!
    vtshopdog
    vtshopdog

Post by vtshopdog Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:46 pm

25 McIntosh MC60’s on the first page.  Me thinks of that eccentric billionaire guy I read about in Brazil who was buying vinyl by the shipping container and had full time staff in a warehouse sorting and cataloging everything.

Last edited by vtshopdog on Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
    vtshopdog
    vtshopdog

Post by vtshopdog Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:12 pm

Ummm, two thoughts after browsing all the items:

First, there are no speakers with which to listen to all those beautiful amps

Second, is there something special about a Motorola CD player that would merit inclusion of 5 of them in a collection like this???

Crazy entertaining to view, thanks for sharing Peter

Afterthought:
    This sale might singlehandedly depress prices across the entire vintage audio market.......
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:03 am

I bet some of that non-cork sniffer gear was dropped into the auction by the auction house. Lots of auction houses own tons of stuff that they"auction" mixed in with real auction items.
    WLT
    WLT

Post by WLT Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:44 am

vtshopdog. For speakers check out the second day auction. I think you only looked at the first day.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:59 am

Second, is there something special about a Motorola CD player that would merit inclusion of 5 of them in a collection like this???

Motorola CD players (and changers) use the original Philips drive as used by Revox and other high end makers to this day. And they use a 14 bit type parent of all DAC chipssets - the Philips TDA1540. Again, same as the Revox. So, a poor man's Revox.

Speakers are in the next auction.

Hope this helps.

Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:55 am

I have gone so far as to register. There are a few things worth the drive to CT if achieved at a reasonable (bottom-feeder) cost. So, about an 8-hour day including turn-around and if pick-up is available weekends.

Strategy:

a) Bid only on those expensive items as would justify a trip.
    b) Bid only on those other items as may be thrown in a box without padding and shipped expensively - and still be worth it and functional at this end.
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:35 am

I'm surprised there are no reel to reel decks.
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:57 pm

or wire recorders Smile
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:26 pm

Dave_in_Va wrote:I'm surprised there are no reel to reel decks.

No cassette recorders.
    No DAT recorders
    No linear tone-arms or turntables??!!?? This IS puzzling!
    Very little Euro stuff, other than Thorens
    A surprisingly narrow range of speakers, and no planars

That is the essence of a good collector - what he wants, as he wants it.

A few things I did notice, as I have considerable knowledge and in some depth on Zenith TransOceanic radios - he has specific examples of 'last in class'. That is a costly strategy as these things go, so he clearly knew what he was doing.  I am going to wait until Tuesday, 12/11 before making any bids at all, if any at all. No need to excite the opposition. pirat
    WLT
    WLT

Post by WLT Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:13 pm

The auctions are not going very cheaply. The nice McIntosh amps were out of my price range. The Dyna ST 70s were not to bad ($325-350). The ST 35 went for $175 which I thought was a great price. I already had one or I would have been interested.

More Dynas to go yet but I doubt that anything will be real cheap. You have to pay for and pick up the equipment within 5 days in Connecticut. So keep that in mind. Some nice turntables and some speakers come up tomorrow.
    WLT
    WLT

Post by WLT Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:18 am

The Dyna tube preamps and amps auctions are completed. A few final selling prices. ST35 - $175, MK III $200, PAS 2 $125, PAS 3 $150, Sta 70 $300-350

Not bad pricing but you had to pick them up in Clinton CT. Hopefully somebody living close got them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 5:55 pm