The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Newbee- Lots of Dynaco Questions

LBK

Newbee- Lots of Dynaco Questions Empty Newbee- Lots of Dynaco Questions

Post by LBK Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:16 pm

Your forum is great !!

I have had Dynaco equipment since the 70's and have some of my dad's from the 60's.

First project - ST-70- need recommendations on best instructional video etc to fire this one up. It has been idle for around 30 years. I am getting a Variac so it can be woken up gently. I am sure there must be some component testing I can do before giving it any power. I remember the old days of tube testers in electronics stores, does anyone offer that service or can you do most of that with a multimeter?

My goal is to get the ST-70 running nicely as "stock" and may at some point look at upgrades.

Good sources for parts?

If anyone has suggestions on a forum for Dynaco transistor equipment I'd appreciate that as well. I have a Stereo 120 and PAT-4 that are still kits. A Stereo 410 that was assembled and tweaked by Audio by Zimet, I haven't started this up for about 10 years, again don't want to just plug it in.

Looking forward to the projects and appreciate any helpful guidance.

Many Thanks!!

Newbee- Lots of Dynaco Questions Empty Re: Newbee- Lots of Dynaco Questions

Post by Guest Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:31 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:03 pm

LBK wrote:

If anyone has suggestions on a forum for Dynaco transistor equipment I'd appreciate that as well. I have a Stereo 120 and PAT-4 that are still kits. A Stereo 410 that was assembled and tweaked by Audio by Zimet

We don't really discuss Dynaco solid state gear on this forum but if you have Dynaco solid state gear and need some help, check out the link below.

Bob

Updatemydynaco.com

LBK likes this post

LBK

Post by LBK Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:12 pm

Thanks Bob. I thought I'd need another resource, I'll check it out.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:38 am

LBK wrote:Your forum is great !!

I have had Dynaco equipment since the 70's and have some of my dad's from the 60's.

First project - ST-70- need recommendations on best instructional video etc to fire this one up. It has been idle for around 30 years. I am getting a Variac so it can be woken up gently. I am sure there must be some component testing I can do before giving it any power. I remember the old days of tube testers in electronics stores, does anyone offer that service or can you do most of that with a multimeter?

My goal is to get the ST-70 running nicely as "stock" and may at some point look at upgrades.

Good sources for parts?

If anyone has suggestions on a forum for Dynaco transistor equipment I'd appreciate that as well. I have a Stereo 120 and PAT-4 that are still kits. A Stereo 410 that was assembled and tweaked by Audio by Zimet, I haven't started this up for about 10 years, again don't want to just plug it in.

Looking forward to the projects and appreciate any helpful guidance.

Many Thanks!!

As the st-70 has been off grid for 10 or more year, using a variac and
    watching the B+ is a good idea. It does however has a tube rectifier so the
    voltage will come suddenly. The idea is to charge the cap(s) to 100volt, wait,
    then 150Volt , wait, up to 400 during an hour. If the cap get warm or makes noices
    it should be replaced :
    https://www.dynakitparts.com/shop/multi-section-capacitor-1/

Or , you could replace the can cap, and renew the bias components :
    https://www.dynakitparts.com/shop/st-70-bias-circuit-kit/

instead of a varic ( if these are replaced there should be no probems powering on)

LBK likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:59 am