The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

SP14. Has anyone got a solid pic of the AC, fuse and terminal wiring? Help please.

bbqjoe
    bbqjoe

SP14. Has anyone got a solid pic of the AC, fuse and terminal wiring? Help please. Empty SP14. Has anyone got a solid pic of the AC, fuse and terminal wiring? Help please.

Post by bbqjoe Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:06 pm

This is giving me fits.
    Things seem to conflict all over the place, and the pics Roy has up confuse me even more.
    I've tried looking at other picture posts here, but for some reason, they start loading, then completely disappear.
    I have adblock turned off for this site too. Help?

Anyways this is as far as I can understand what is written...and what I see in Roy's 2018 pics.

All red wires from the transformers go to the bottom lug on the terminal strip.
    All the black wires go to the center terminal strip, with a connection to the back of the fuse.

The twisted white wires are said to go to one terminal on the ac input, and the other goes to the group of red wires on the terminal lug?
    But then it also says one of the white wires is supposed to connect to the fuse holder???

I'm so turned around here.

What actually connects to the ac plug filter??? What's up with the fuse?

Last edited by bbqjoe on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    rayton

SP14. Has anyone got a solid pic of the AC, fuse and terminal wiring? Help please. Empty Re: SP14. Has anyone got a solid pic of the AC, fuse and terminal wiring? Help please.

Post by rayton Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:26 pm

I don't have SP14 but there are some images that you need from the first link, it may help you out. I can see all the pics.

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/SP14-2016.htm

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/SP14-2017.htm

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/SP14-2018.htm
    bbqjoe
    bbqjoe

SP14. Has anyone got a solid pic of the AC, fuse and terminal wiring? Help please. Empty Re: SP14. Has anyone got a solid pic of the AC, fuse and terminal wiring? Help please.

Post by bbqjoe Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:32 pm

I think I have it.
    Would someone please verify this before I tighten it all up and solder.
    I appreciate the links Rayton, but they only help to confuse me.

SP14. Has anyone got a solid pic of the AC, fuse and terminal wiring? Help please. LLjGcEF

Post by Guest Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:46 pm

are those 'hot' wires going to the center tag of the tag strip which is grounded??....I hope not! affraid
    bbqjoe
    bbqjoe

Post by bbqjoe Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:50 pm

Boy did I have that wrong!!!
    Just spoke with Roy.
    All is now good in the desert!
    Jedidiah

Post by Jedidiah Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:42 pm

the bottom ground lug of the IEC (where you have the 2 purple wires) will also end up with a ground connection to the SP14 board
    bbqjoe
    bbqjoe

Post by bbqjoe Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:16 pm

Jedidiah wrote:the bottom ground lug of the IEC (where you have the 2 purple wires) will also end up with a ground connection to the SP14 board

Got it!!!
    Thank you.

I have everything now wired and in place.

This is the point where I walk away....
    I'm going to go listen to a few tunes, do a little housework, then come back and stare at it for an hour or so, before I run any tests.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:12 pm

yup, that was close, but glad we caught the mis-wire before you fried your AC socket and your chassis was the fuse!
    That center lug is ground, you don't want any AC power on it !!
    this photo below is posted on my 2016 build . . . .

SP14. Has anyone got a solid pic of the AC, fuse and terminal wiring? Help please. SP14-233
    bbqjoe
    bbqjoe

Post by bbqjoe Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:17 pm

yes, that could have been a disaster!!!

I just sent you this after firing it up.

She fires up, no smoke. Yay!

Everything measures pretty good except something possibly going on with the channel closest to the front.

B+ to ground on rear channel is running 272-275
    B+ of front channel is fluctuating some. 212, 240, sometimes goes a little higher but pretty much 30 under voltage.
    D13 on rear measures about 43.
    Voltage at D13 on the front is all over the place.
    Starts around 110 then slowly decreases leveling off to around 50 if I keep the meter on it.

Otherwise all else is within tolerances.

What do you think?

Does this have anything to do with the other set of output caps I'm waiting on?
    bbqjoe
    bbqjoe

Post by bbqjoe Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:29 am

Well...
    I reflowed all my joints just to be sure.

Checked and rechecked resistors.
    Wiring is good, everything else tests right, but B+ on the front channel is still low, and d13 is still way high.

Arghhh.

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:29 pm

double check to make sure all the correct parts are in the right spots, also check to make sure the electrolytic caps are 'polarity correct' and that the diodes too are 'polarity correct'.
    bbqjoe
    bbqjoe

Post by bbqjoe Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:49 pm

I have confirmed, and conferred with other builders that everything on the board is in the right place.
    Throughout testing, the tubes have been pulled a number of times paying no attention to their placement, and I doubt I've put a bad one back in the front channel consistently.

R22 and R23 determine the B+ regulator output, I pulled them, and they test fine.
    All the wiring from the transformers test good too.
    So that only leave component failure, leaving most likely the transistors.

New ones on the way.
    I hope by Tue or wed night I'll be making a happy post.
    bbqjoe
    bbqjoe

Post by bbqjoe Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:25 pm

Success!!!!
    The SP14 is up and running.

The postal service is still holding my second set of output caps hostage for some reason.
    They left vegas on the 11th, and have been sitting in Phx for almost 4 days.
    No ransom note or nuthin'.

After those get installed, this build will be officially complete.

Now to start burning in some tubes..... cheers
    Jedidiah

Post by Jedidiah Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:44 pm

Glad to hear you got it up and running.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:31 pm